News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Forest fire in Ifonche area

Started by Janet, Sun 15 Jul 2012, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

Can you believe that down here we've just had a firework display?  ::)
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

There are now five army emergency unit lorries ready for action on the main road to Guía de Isora.

El Profesor

How sad.
And one of my favourite walking areas too. :kc020:

Janet

A forestry vehicle has just raced up our lane to look around, so it seems they could be expecting it to spread further west, and much nearer to us. Helicopters have not been flying since 8pm, and will resume with the light at 7am. The mayor of Adeje says it's going to be very hard night for firefighters. The photo below is poor but I hope it gives the idea of what it looks like. There's ash everywhere outside, the air tastes of fire, and it looks like Hell.

Nova

I don't think you'll manage much sleep tonight either...  Be careful and keep tight hold of Rosie-pup.

I really hope the fire doesn't come towards you, but you know where I am if you need anything.  Those poor forests!!!  Hell seems the descriptive word.

Stay safe  :hug:

—————

Perikles

Lots of smoke, but no flames visible. Smell of burning. I slept all night!

Nova

:thanx:  :great:

Hopefully that's the end of it then, but the damage already caused will be dreadful :(

—————

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 07:39
:thanx:  :great:

Hopefully that's the end of it then, :(

I'm afraid not. The area is getting larger, and looks to be moving northwards. Could be devastating.

Janet

The air is thick with smoke this morning and it looks less like Hell than a Mordor scene from Lord of the Rings. The tally so far is some 1,200 hectares burnt to a cinder, and still two active fire fronts one of which is contained, though not yet under control. The other, though, heading west, is still out of control and burning wildly.

This is where the main firefighting efforts, including the army Emergency Unit and now helicopters again, are now concentrated in order to try to stop it getting to the villages which were evacuated yesterday, and of course to stop it getting nearer to the villages further up the west coast like Tijoco Alto, Vera de Erques, and Tejina de Isora. JA

That's what I've just posted on my site, anyway. It's otherworldly, like pine-scended toast that's caught fire in the toaster and filled the kitchen with smoke. What strikes me is that over the past six hours (there goes another helicopter) it has been "burning wildly" and is clearly closer to us this morning than before, but it's not at the doorstep. That must mean it's burning up the pine forest.

:03:

Janet

Tijoco Alto, the next village to us, is now being evacuated as a precautionary measure. Also reports that the Chio/Boca de Tauce and Vilaflor/Boca de Tauce roads are closed to allow firefighting traffic free access. It's at Adeje's boundaries now, and Guía de Isora and Arona are both on alert. Confirmed that we have seven helicopters firefighting this morning. President of Tenerife says it looks as though it could well have been started deliberately.