News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Forest fire in Ifonche area

Started by Janet, Sun 15 Jul 2012, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The authorities and firefighting teams have asked the public to stay away because they are hindering rather than helping. They say that the public's concern is much appreciated, but the firefighting teams are professional - in the widest meaning of the word - and even the large numbers of volunteer firefighters are specially trained.

Janet

Here's a picture of the scene outside this morning. The smoke is almost obscuring the sun, which is barely visible in the photo, but when the smoke swirls away, the disc of the sun is blood red. We're now walking through ash to get that photo.

Janet

The Government says the fire is now on level 3, and has reached Tijoco Alto. JA

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:31
The Government says the fire is now on level 3, and has reached Tijoco Alto. JA

So what colour of alert corresponds to a level 3? green, yellow, orange, red, heliotrope?

Janet

It's for levels of co-ordination, and denotes powers/authorities ... this is major now.

Phil

Is there anywhere that one can read up about the different alert levels and what they mean? :)

For what shall it profit a man, to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Nova

My god, this is really scary!
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

From where we are, it looks much less scarey than it did 3 hours ago. I asked some official who drove up our road whether this area was in danger, and he just laughed.

Later, in the chemist's in Guia de Isora, I heard a bloke telling people that Taucho and Vera de Erques had been evacuated. News to me.

Phil

Attn Grammar Police, the Spelling Police would like a word.... ;)

For what shall it profit a man, to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Perikles

Quote from: Phil on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 14:51
Attn Grammar Police, the Spelling Police would like a word.... ;)

Yep - I can't even claim it was a typo, because it took me some time to spot it, despite responding to a post with the word in it. I don't think I've ever used the word before, because it's a bit girly.