Tenerife on fire again

Started by Janet, Sat 11 Aug 2012, 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

and now Valle de Arriba above Santiago del Teide is evacuated too.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Janet

and now Santiago del Teide itself is evacuated.

Janet

Telefonic cover now lost in El Tanque, Buenavista del Norte, Santiago del Teide and Guía de Isora; electricity also off in Santiago del Teide.

Janet

Above is a map of the area affected by the El Tanque fire: the A on the map is Teno Alto, the latest place to be evacuated, as announced five minutes ago.

Nova

Oh my god!!  That's spread a long way from El Tanque and Erjos!!  Those poor people who are being evacuated :(
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

The latest, staggering, figures are that 4,719 people have now been evacuated in total between the La Gomera and Tenerife fires.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Absolutely awful. Horrible what residents are having to go through, and I hope they will be able to return to their homes, intact, and soon.

Janet

At a 10am press conference, Tenerife Cabildo President Ricardo Melchior said that intensive firefighting efforts were continuing today, but that thanks to the army and forestry brigades, last night had gone well and further reinforcements will be added today. Their efforts will be directed at the only active front now remaining, whic is 150m long between Bolico and Santiago del Teide (Bolico is the A in the map below). The fire currently has a perimter of 11km, with 220 hectares affected. Those evicted from  San José de Los Llanos have been able to return to their homes to attend to their animals. Sr Melchior appealed to the public to stay away from all mountain areas. The next press conference will be at 8pm this evening. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

We could see the flames from the Santiago del Teide area last night.  Terrible.

I am sick to the back teeth of having to clean up all the ash and soot blowing in from these fires.  Again today, the outdoor kitchen, and well, everything outdoors was covered in ash soot.  Is anybody else having this problem?

If it were up to me, whoever started the fires would have to come and lick the stuff off my patio daily.