News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Tenerife on fire again

Started by Janet, Sat 11 Aug 2012, 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

There was another scare for Tenerife last night after fire broke out around 9pm in La Vaquera, in Ruigómez, El Tanque. It was stabilized around 5am this morning with, in the end, some two hectares of heathland burnt. At one point, however, it seemed that it could spread disastrously, with the hamlet of Erjos evacuated, and the Santiago del Teide to Icod road closed to traffic, but thanks to teams of bomberos and forest brigades, the blaze was contained before reaching any dwellings or forest areas. JA

Janet

Whatever the situation was at 5am, firefighters have not been able to get the blaze under control, and sadly, it has within the last few minutes, been officially declared a level 2, requiring the intervention of the Canarian Government rather than the island authorities. This is where we were a fortnight ago with the Ifonche fire. JA

Nova

Oh no!!!!  We need a water plane!!!!!!!!!!
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

Some 500 people have now been evacuated from the El Tanque area because of the fire. The Cabildo said that the terrain, together with the heat and particularly the wind, had made firefighting efforts very difficult. The TF82 remains closed to traffic near Erjos as a safety measure and to assist in the firefighting efforts.

Janet

The Cabildo has confirmed that another fire has now broken out in the La Hornaca area of Aguarcía in Tacoronte, again in north Tenerife. Updates as soon as possible. JA

Nova

It might be time to change the title of this thread  :cry:

—————

Janet

Three roads are now closed to traffic in the El Tanque area. The TF82 as before, and now the TF 373 which is the high road from Erjos to Icod, and also the TF436 Masca (Santiago del Teide to Buenavista del Norte) road. JA

was about to change the thread title  :cry:

Janet

The Cabildo says that Tacoronte fire is now stabilized, but the El Tanque one is still out of control. JA

Janet

I would give anything not to post this, but Masca has been evacuated, along with the neighbouring villages of Las Portelas, El Palmar and Carrizales. JA

Nova

Nooo..... not Masca again!!

—————