Tenerife on fire again

Started by Janet, Sat 11 Aug 2012, 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The Tenerife fire is stabilized, and the President of the Tenerife Cabildo, Ricardo Melchior, has announced that the level will shortly be reduced from 2 to 1, bringing control of the firefighting efforts back under island authorities' control. The TF-373 (high road from Erjos to Icod) is now reopened; the TF-82 is closed between km 17,5 to 21,5; and the TF-436 closed from Las Portelas to Santiago del Teide. Suspended bus lines 460 and 325 are expected to be re-established later today.

Janet

The TF-82 and the TF-436 are both now reopened, and all bus lines working normally.

Janet

The Tenerife fire is now at level 1 again, which means firefighting efforts are in the hands of the Tenerife Cabildo. It is still said to be "almost stabilized".

Nova

Why can't the higher level just see it through until the fire is out???
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

I think it's to do with the category of risk. Once it is stabilized, or almost, then there's no need for firefighting to be coordinated at regional level, and in particular no need for the resources that only the Government can call in, like water planes.

It's a valid point, though, and several times recently there's been criticism of the level being downgraded too early.

Janet

The Tenerife fire is stabilized and the perimeter of 14km has not increased in the last several hours. Hot points in the Monte del Agua have lost intensity. A helicopter is dropping water on the Erjos area between the municipalities of Los Silos and El Tanque, and forestry teams are damping down the burnt areas. In the area of Ruigómez, where the fire started, the colour contrast between burnt and unaffected areas is obvious, and damage to infrastructure and to cables that has left the Erjos area without telephones is currently being repaired. A Cabildo Environmental team is investigating the cause of the fire, among which possibilities are carelessness, arson,  or a discarded bottle which acted as a magnifying glass. JA

Nova

If a single person, or group of people, can be identified as responsible for the fires here, or in La Gomera, they should be made to pay for all the damage, recovery and firefighting expenses  :basebat:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

A fire has broken out in the Lomo Alto area of Los Realejos. Firefighting teams from the Cabildo, Parque Nacional, Bomberos, Policía Local and Guardia Civil are already on the scene.

Guanche

On a side note. I couldn't believe it last night, a firework display near the village!!!!!! What on earth? with fires raging in other parts of the island they sanction a fire works display unbelievable.

Janet

They should be denounced. I'm serious.

Twitter was full of another one that had been sanctioned ... but it got called off in the end because there's a Cabildo ban that's got more bloody power than their little fiesta committee. That was Taganana, in the area of Tenerife that has the nearest equivalent to the Garajonay.

Bloody fools. I would denounce anyone with a firework right now.