Local elections today.

Started by Guanche, Sun 24 May 2015, 15:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Guanche

I am sure we all know that the local elections are taking place today. This is my third time voting here, twice here in Arafo and once in Añaza. I've just got back and I was amazed at how many people were out and about and voting. There were queues at some of the tables something I've never seen before. Not sure if this is a good thing or not?

Janet

let's hope they're voting for some change ....  though in the UK recently, a high turnout meant an increased vote for the incumbents ...

Nova

I've just done my bit too!  CxA all the way  :great:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Guanche

Were there many at the poling station Nova? I joined the disgruntled and voted for some Independent bloke.... under the wife's instructions! :poke: Sadly I feel it's a wasted vote, Arafo is PP country They have been PP for the past forty odd years or there abouts and I don't see a change coming any time soon!

Who is CxA Nova?

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

We went before 0930.  OH voted without incident.  As I attempted to vote they all shouted my name around the room as they do, calling unwanted attention to me. Then, guess what?  I am not on the censo!!! How embarrassing.  One lady told me the ayuntamiento office was open today.

So up to the ayuntamiento.  Guess what?  They said when I registered I only asked to vote in European elections, not local.  I said that is crazy, OH did nothing and he was allowed to vote.  At any rate I have to go back and fill in some form to be able to vote next time.  Can't do it online.

Then I got a call from some Crazy Bastard whose Wife said the turnout was looking like 29%.  I said if the traffic outside my house was anything to go by, it must be about 85%.  (We are 50m from the cultural centre where we vote.)  CB postulated that it meant 29% of voters had now voted.  W and I said it meant a turnout of 29% of people eligible to vote.  OH, in his perverseness, decided to agree with CB even though he told me privately that W and I were right. 

I think it'll be a high turnout.  Looking forward to hearing what it was.

Nova

Quote from: Pelinor on Sun 24 May 2015, 19:26
Who is CxA Nova?

Janet's site | @Prof's site

No, there was a bloke in the booth, a girl standing looking as though she was waiting for him, a bloke who came in while I was folding my piece of paper, three staff members inside, two with the ballot boxes and one standing by, three staff members outside sitting on the wall and three Guardia standing outside having a chat.  This was all in a room smaller than the old BBC Broomcupboard when Gordon the Gopher lived in it, and if I hadn't spoken Spanish I think I would have had a bit of a panic attack.  One girl with the ballot boxes issued one-word instructions while the second commented to the third something about how differently locals and foreigners value their vote.  I think she was saying foreigners value it more, especially given the care with which I was folding my little piece of paper and coaxing it into the envelope at the time, but I was too busy concentrating on what I was doing to really tune in.

—————

Guanche

Thanks Nova. Must admit I was thinking about not going as the wife's away and my Spanish is crap at best! But I did and it was painless. I voted for a similar party. I did feel slightly sorry for the 'PP' bloke who I discreetly asked which colour list to place in the envelope. I was sure it was the white one but just had to check. Anyway he almost took me by the hand and delivered me to the correct table at the other side of the building. I think he would have come in the booth and voted for me if I had let him!! Good job he didn't know what I was thinking "PP no frickin chance" :giggle:

I also had an embarrassing moment when I produced my passport. The room was full and had several people sat behind the ballot boxes checking names and such. I got the passport out and there was a cry 'PASSPORT' by the 'Envelope pusher in!' Every one went quite for a second and all the faces of the people behind the desk stopped to look at me. Thought I'd grown another head! Anyway then the 'Name reader' couldn't pronounce my name, someone else had taken my passport off her no doubt just to have a look! So I gave the 'Name caller' my old ID card which, for some reason allowed her to pronounce my name. So the 'Name writer down' could..... write it down. I got the feeling there were to many cooks in the kitchen. :giggle:

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Sun 24 May 2015, 19:42I think it'll be a high turnout.  Looking forward to hearing what it was.

But you claimed they forecast 29% so how could it be much different to that?

Nova

The first thing I was asked for was my "DNI", so I produced my passport and my faithful photocopy of my certificado de registro.  She took the CdR and didn't give it back to me until I had placed my envelope in the ballot box, but she made it clear she wasn't interested in my passport and didn't even glance at it!

One thing, is there no anonymity??  I picked up my white list from the table while being watched by the girl waiting for the guy in the booth and the three staff-members!  Then i was told "sobre" and the woman hovering budged to one side so I could reach behind her for a white envelope from the box.  Yes, there was a tiny curtained booth with a bloke in it but still, you'd have to take one of every list there into the booth with you in order to keep your vote secret.

—————