Cold caller from Endesa.

Started by Guanche, Fri 7 Mar 2014, 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Janet

Don't know whether THIS helps clarify anything, but thought I'd post the link in case it's helpful all the same.

Delderek

As to how they administer this intrigued me I asked the question on another forum knowing an expert electrical guy would have the answer. And yes it appears they fit a smart meter that logs the consumption every second, which then cuts off the supply if you exceed your tariff, but seems not immediately, as the unit rate increases by about two and a half times your contract rate.

The advice given : don't get conned with the 4.4 tariff.

Edit: seems it doesn't cut off till you reach the old 5.5 limit but of course you are paying a lot more for using an extra kw.

Perikles

Quote from: Delderek on Tue 11 Mar 2014, 20:25
The advice given : don't get conned with the 4.4 tariff.

These days, I think the normal 5.4 tariff is probably often too little and that this can be exceeded on a regular basis. If this is the case and smart meters are installed everywhere, I can see people having unpleasant increases in electricity bills because they don't know it's costing them a fortune when, say, the tumble drier and dishwasher are both being used at the same time. Is there an easy way to monitor this? Myrtle - what says OH?

Delderek

Quote from: Periklēs on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 07:08
These days, I think the normal 5.4 tariff is probably often too little and that this can be exceeded on a regular basis. If this is the case and smart meters are installed everywhere, I can see people having unpleasant increases in electricity bills because they don't know it's costing them a fortune when, say, the tumble drier and dishwasher are both being used at the same time. Is there an easy way to monitor this? Myrtle - what says OH?

If they follow what is being done in the UK, you can see your consumption on your computer. Or wireless instruments available for about 20 quid where you clip a transmitter around the main input cable and a small led receiver is placed where you want it. Giving you cost/consumption/carbon footprint etc.

The guy that gave the info on the smart meter system also stated, that when designing new systems they now advise using the 9.2kw tariff in premises with no gas.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Yes, agree with Delderek.  Of course at our house there are all kinds of meters and stuff which he uses to measure things.

We were talking about this today and the part which interests me the most is the cut-off for exceeding your tariff.  When does it cut it off?  For how long?  Don't you get any chance to correct things before you get zapped?  What about people who require electricity for medical reasons?

And I wonder if all this means I will have to start doing the laundry in the middle of the night. 

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 13:45What about people who require electricity for medical reasons?

Interesting legal question. If they cut my leccy off when I need my CPAP machine (OK - it only needs 60 watts but Janet might be doing some arc welding at the same time) can I sue them?

Guanche

Getting really confused by all this now........... well I was before to be truthful! :017:  Anyway I always thought if you were to over load the system the circuit breakers tripped?

Perikles

Quote from: Pelinor on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 14:57
Getting really confused by all this now........... well I was before to be truthful! :017:  Anyway I always thought if you were to over load the system the circuit breakers tripped?

Yes, they do, but they are not very exact about when they do it. A mains fuse might be rated at 25 amps but might only trip at 30 or 40. It is a mechanical device which ages and starts to trip at lower currents, so they set them a bit high to start with. Feel free to contradict, anybody, I'm no expert.

Delderek