News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Health authorities issue widespread water restrictions in north Tenerife

Started by Janet, Wed 24 Jul 2013, 15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

There are wide-ranging water restrictions in place in fourteen municipalities throughout north Tenerife because of excessive levels of fluoride in the water. Residents are advised not only not to drink the water, but also not to cook nor prepare food with it. In some areas the restriction applies only to children under eight years of age, but in others to everyone. The health authorities actually announced the restrictions last month on their website but it is only now that it has been disseminated and become reasonably widespread public knowledge. 

Restrictions apply to children only in: San Juan de la Rambla; La Guancha; La Matanza; Santa Úrsula ((Pino Alto, La Tosquita, La Corujera, La Corujera Alta, Cuesta La Villa, Tamaide, Urbanización Paraíso, La Vera, El Farrobillo, Tosca Barrios and El Calvario); La Victoria ((La Vera-Carril and La Resbala); El Sauzal (Carretera Vecinal, La Costa, La Baranda, El Calvario, El Montillo, Ravelo, Ravelo Alto and Bajo); Tacoronte (Chupadero, Agua García, Guayonge, Casas Altas, La Luz and Barranco Las Lajas); Tegueste (Caidero, Los Laureles, Pedro Álvarez, Las Canteras, El Palomar, Faria, La Cruz, Los Barriales, Blas Núñez, El Portezuelo, Molina, El Infierno, San Gonzalo); and La Laguna (Guajara, Las Chumberas, Geneto, Gracia y Los Baldíos).

They apply to everyone, children and adults alike, in: Buenavista (Casco, El Palmar, La Cuesta, Las Canteras, Las Portelas, Teno, Triana y Rincón); Los Silos (Erjos); El Tanque (Casco, Erjos, San José de los Llanos, Ruigómez and La Hoya); Garachico (Casco, El Guincho, La Montañeta, Genovés, San Juan del Reparo, Caleta de Interián, San Pedro de Daute and Las Cruces); and the whole of Icod de los Vinos.

There is a separate restriction on all alimentary uses of water in various areas of Puerto de la Cruz (these aren't detailed) because of nitrates - it applies to children under three months of age and pregnant women. Again, this was published last month but not disseminated. It is said that those who fear they might be affected can call Aqualia's customer information line on 902 23 60 23, but as of yesterday they were saying they were unaware of the restriction. Where that leaves people in Puerto de la Cruz I don't know. JA

Briz

Of course bottled water with high levels of nitrates, flourides and other salts are OK :017:

Janet

they're within permitted limits ... the tapwater in north Tenerife right now isn't :)

Briz

Quote from: Janet on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:29
they're within permitted limits ... the tapwater in north Tenerife right now isn't :)

What are the regulations governing bottled water?

I believe it is  ISBN 9780110787923 which I will have to get from the library since it £5.50 on line but I haven't seen any reference to it on bottles in Tenerife

Janet

Don't know, but HERE is the Spanish legislation on public water supply.

Briz

Quote from: Janet on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:54
Don't know, but HERE is the Spanish legislation on public water supply.

Is it the same as bottled water supply?

Briz

Quote from: Janet on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 16:57
don't know .... sorry ...

Don't look now but I was trying to get you to look instead of me  :toothygrin:

Janet

was looking while you were typing ... :D

according to THIS, bottled water is covered by EU Directive 98/83 ...

Briz

Quote from: Janet on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 17:02
was looking while you were typing ... :D

according to THIS, bottled water is covered by EU Directive 98/83 ...

But 98/83 covers potable water with no values on permissible levels of salts so I'll have to go to the City Library to research it if I can get over there.