Health authorities issue widespread water restrictions in north Tenerife

Started by Janet, Wed 24 Jul 2013, 15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

So how does all that flouride get into the water in the first place?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

I'll translate it another time (soon I hope) but for the moment, links ...

SCS explanation

the whole website that comes from HERE

Janet

Many mayors and officials of the municipalities in north Tenerife that are subject to the health authorities' restrictions on water have expressed irritation over the move, saying that the problem has been "overstated". Yesterday, however, Salud Pública updated its restrictions, and has maintained them all bar Tegueste, where the water is said to be safe to drink. The health authorities insist, as of yesterday, that their warnings are correct. JA

Janet

The best political and scientific brains have ended up today wringing their hands and saying that there's no solution in the world to this problem. The best they can come up with, it seems, is an agreement to "improve coordination" between the water and health authorities and the government. This comes after today's meeting in Icod de los Vinos between the Consejo Insular de Aguas, the Dirección General de Salud Pública del Gobierno de Canarias, and the northern ayuntamientos.

There are various sticking-plaster solutions being considered, such as increasing water from the Vergara galeria and reducing that from Hoya del Cedro, but for the moment, the 13 municipalities in north Tenerife affected by excess fluoride in their tap water remain on restriction. Those municipalities affected are Icod, La Guancha, San Juan de la Rambla, La Matanza, Buenavista, El Tanque, Garachico, Los Silos, El Sauzal, La Victoria, Santa Úrsula, Tacoronte, and La Laguna. JA

Janet

The Canarian Government's Dirección General de Salud Pública has lifted the ban on drinking water in some areas  of the municipality of Garachico. The ban is lifted in Las Cruces, San Pedro and La Caleta, where the Ayuntamiento has confirmed that tapwater can be drunk. The ban remains for children under 8 years of age in the medianías and altitude areas. The bans remain as previously in all other areas mentioned. JA