Update on illegal letting situation

Started by Janet, Thu 14 Mar 2013, 10:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

I don't see what's wrong with the ruling, personally.  If I buy a property on a residential complex I don't want bloody holidaymakers waking me up in the early hours with drunken chanting.  If some owners want to holiday let their apartments, they should buy on complexes intended for that purpose where the tourists will only be bothering one another.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

El Profesor

Quote from: Nova on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 14:33
.  If I buy a property on a residential complex I don't want bloody holidaymakers waking me up in the early hours with drunken chanting. If some owners want to holiday let their apartments, they should buy on complexes intended for that purpose where the tourists will only be bothering one another.

And if I go on holiday I don't want bloody holidaymakers waking me up in the early hours with drunken chanting. I would much rather go to a nice quiet residencial complex.

Janet

Thing is, we've lived on a residential complex ... and only a few owners holiday let, and even they were soon stopped by an administrator who inexplicably was efficient on that one (and only that one) issue ...

The problem we had was with owners! Owners who don't live here can still use their apartments whenever they like, and when they come, they're on holiday. They end up being worse than tourists because they're OWNERS, and almost universally have a "no-one's going to tell me what I can do" attitude that I've only rarely found in tourists. So we had inflatable dragons and kayaks in a swimming pool with a clear sign saying "no inflatables", pool dive bombing, loud drunken conversations - and occasional singsongs - on terraces at 2am ... and of course, the suitcases rattling along the cobbles ...

There is no solution, but it is possible to alter the terms of reference of the discussion so that it's not simply a case of "holidaymakers" versus "residents". Non-resident owners are also holidamakers. Some tourists can be owners ... elsewhere, and so have an understanding of how to behave.

El Profesor

Quote from: Janet on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 14:54
Thing is, we've lived on a residential complex ... and only a few owners holiday let, and even they were soon stopped by an administrator who inexplicably was efficient on that one (and only that one) issue ...

The problem we had was with owners! Owners who don't live here can still use their apartments whenever they like, and when they come, they're on holiday. They end up being worse than tourists because they're OWNERS, and almost universally have a "no-one's going to tell me what I can do" attitude that I've only rarely found in tourists. So we had inflatable dragons and kayaks in a swimming pool with a clear sign saying "no inflatables", pool dive bombing, loud drunken conversations - and occasional singsongs - on terraces at 2am ... and of course, the suitcases rattling along the cobbles ...

There is no solution, but it is possible to alter the terms of reference of the discussion so that it's not simply a case of "holidaymakers" versus "residents". Non-resident owners are also holidamakers. Some tourists can be owners ... elsewhere, and so have an understanding of how to behave.

Well, you found a solution . . .  :13:

Michael

Quote from: Janet on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 14:54

It's so sad that lack of consideration for others is so rampant these days.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Guanche

I lived on a residential estate and I was the only Foreigner. There was no letting no tourist........it was hell and I had to move! I would think that if the police were more effectively employed with fixed penalty notices and your passport kept until you pay it would prove far more effective.

Delderek

Over the years, having now heard horror stories of tourists v residents, terrible unworkable communities, useless presidents, uninterested administrators. I can only put my purchase on Royal palm in 1994 down to good luck, as I was as green as any new "owner abroad". And in the 17+ years that I owned I never experienced one problem with any of the above, surely R.P cannot be that unique, although it is 99% UK owners, is that the difference?

Janet

yep, it's different ... I'd say it's unique, or at least I don't know of another like it. Yes, you were lucky! As to why, dunno ... could be the percentage, but that just doesn't feel right as the reason ... :tiphat:

Delderek

Quote from: Janet on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 19:35
yep, it's different ... I'd say it's unique, or at least I don't know of another like it. Yes, you were lucky! As to why, dunno ... could be the percentage, but that just doesn't feel right as the reason ... :tiphat:

Mmmn, think you mean "it shouldn't feel right" and not P.C. but!! :whistle: