Public outrage and lifeguard despair over 6 months of unpaid wages in Arona

Started by Janet, Thu 31 Jan 2013, 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Veronica collapsed yesterday after her interview on Canarian television. She was taken to hospital suffering a migraine and low blood pressure. The Ayuntamiento had just sent someone to check that minimum services were being provided but it seems that is all the support they can offer this woman, and her fellow strikers, amidst further reports of intimidating visits by Policía Local sent by the Ayuntamiento. This morning Veronica has said that although she is still feeling the after effects of the migraine and the antibiotics she was given, she is stable, and will stay at home today. She intends, however, to return to the base to protest. JA

Janet

Veronica is indomitable. She is back at the base, protesting once again. She is no longer on hunger strike, after yesterday this isn't possible, but she is back to her protest, along with her fellow unpaid lifeguards, providing minimum services for a council that requires them to work but denies any employer relationship with them! JA

Guanche

I just cannot see the legality to all this. I hate to make comparisons but if this was in the UK there would be court cases and protests to Strasbourg. How can a body (the council via the Employment ministry) demand that people they don't employ (the life guards) work for nothing. They have no contract with the council only their employer, who is bankrupt of has ceased trading or what ever????

The contract is with the life guards employer not the life guards. This is forced labour!! Sorry just letting off steam I just cannot comprehend how things get to this state. I should though I've been here long enough. :021:

Janet

Situation seems to be that they provide an "essential service" for a municipality. That gives the council some control in respect of Spanish employment law for provision of minimum services in essential fields during strikes.

The problem is that this whole aspect is based on the assumption that both sides are seeking resolution to the dispute which has ended in a strike. The lifeguards say that this goodwill is lacking on Arona's side (ain't that the truth!) and so they have asked the Spanish Dept of Employment to release them from the requirement to provide the minumum service.

Janet

Above is a recent news report from antena3canarias on the lifeguards which also shows how neglected the Arona base is, and in particular how empty the medical cabinet is. Are these lifeguards also expected to supply first aid equipment? Does Arona Ayuntamiento actually accept any responsibility for anything? For shame.

Janet

Veronica has posted today some photos on her FB account, the above are a couple - the first of the lifeguard base office, and the second of a cupboard empty of essential medical supplies. As Veronica says, the oxygen equipment is not inspected, and they are almost out of oxygen itself. The "office" has no telephone, no fax - not even fire extinguishers, which I understood were a legal requirement. In short, they have been provided with nothing that any functioning office should have.

Are these lifeguards supposed to use their own mobiles for emergency calls? Their own mobiles when they're not even being paid? And the quad supplied for rapid emergency displacement has been left for months without insurance, without an MOT, even without petrol!  These are the conditions in which they are expected to work, conditions which would appall any employee ... let alone those who aren't even being paid  .....

Canarias7 recently ran an article (HERE) about Arona's attempt to sell itself at a very recent tourism fair (Feria Internacional de Turismo - Fitur). As the paper says, the council stressed its climate, its hotels, and above all, the excellence of its beaches. The article continues that nobody said a word, however, about the fact that these beaches are now manned by unpaid forced labour with a minimum safety provision.

Tourism is Tenerife's, and of course Arona's, main economic motor. Apart from the shamefulness of the situation, it is just absolutely stupid to allow things to come to this pass. Even if the council cares nothing for its own reputation, surely it is not determined to ruin that of its main asset! JA

Guanche

I had a quick read through the some of the Human rights legislation over the weekend and there is, unfortunately, a clause that does allow for f--king forced labour (sorry for the language but it really gets me going :gonnagetit:)  in the interest of public protection public protection workers can be made to provide cover. I could never see such a clause being invoked by civilised people. But it's there.

Janet

Quote from: Guanche on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 16:13I could never see such a clause being invoked by civilised people.

It still hasn't been .......  :whistle:

Guanche

What's her facebook page called Janet. I've look at her name but it come up with lots! :undecided:

Janet

There are two ...

the lifeguards one, which she posts on, is SOS-Socorristas-ARONA (HERE)

her personal one is Verónica Rodríguez Rodríguez (HERE)

:tiphat: