News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

How expensive is life in the Canaries?

Started by Guanche, Sat 15 Sep 2012, 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Guanche

I had a phone call from my son in Barcelona today, "Dad I'm in the ferretera how much wood do I need for my bed" at this point I must say the other week he bought a bed from Ikea,. When he got it home he found out the slats on which the mattress rests came separately at the price of 40€. Back to the point.

My first thought was ' how the sweet Jesus do I know! hasn't he got a tape?' Then I thought 'no he hasn't' Anyway we managed to sort it out and he needed about 17 meters of 7 by 2 by 97.5. I said that it was going to cost an arm and a leg as he would have to buy a saw to cut it to length. "I'll get back to you" he said as the phone went dead.

Twenty min later he rang "got it 8€" Now knowing Tenerife prices I automatically assumed that was 8€ for a meter or so. No that was the price of the lot and the man cut it for him! Now I only know Leroy prices for DIY timber and I have no doubt that the same wood in 2 meter lengths would be at least 8€ thats 9 pieces 72€. Even if I bought a plank of rough sawn planed it and cut it myself It would be in the 25 € mark

Thought I'd share

Nova

I know, it's ridiculous!  I had exactly that experience when I wanted voiles to replace the manky curtains in the bedroom of my rented apartment.  In Tenerife, Textiles Sur wanted to charge by the metre, total cost about 130€ for the one window/patio door.  The next time I went to the UK I returned with 4 voile panels in my suitcase at £8 each - total £32, perfect!  Even with import costs, I don't see how housey things in Tenerife - can be so much more expensive, unless they're just ripping us off  :undecided:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

We are living on an island in the Atlantic with no significant pine forest. All building wood has to be imported. No surprise that wood is expensive.

Guanche

Ripping us off I suspect. Didn't you try 'El Kilo' Nova they seem to be head and shoulders cheaper for that sort of stuff.

Guanche

Quote from: Perikles on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 20:30
We are living on an island in the Atlantic with no significant pine forest. All building wood has to be imported. No surprise that wood is expensive.

Agreed P but Uk prices for timber are only slightly cheaper than here. And certainly not as cheap as Barcelona appears to be.

Perikles

The UK is another island in the Atlantic!  :cheesy:

Guanche

Is an island an island if it's attached to a continent by a tunnel? If not YOU GOT ME! ;)

Perikles

Quote from: Guanche on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 20:43
Is an island an island if it's attached to a continent by a tunnel? If not YOU GOT ME! ;)

It is effectively if all imported timber is transported by ship from Norway.

That looks like a good answer, but I have no idea of its validity, and I'm not inclined to research it on a Saturday evening when the wine was opened at 18.00  :winecheers:

poker

Here for a lot of stuff eBay is my friend ;) .
Even if I have to wayt a few weeks for it to arrive. 

Guanche

Don't you get stung for the postage though, Poker.