Proud to be associated with a cultured region of Spain?

Started by Perikles, Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Perikles

This article reports on how proud the region should be for the vast amount of money spent on classical music. We should be very proud that the grand total spent per head of population per year amounts to a staggering € 0.71 !!!!

Regions of Spain which show no interest in any culture whatsoever are even worse:

QuoteEn el País Vasco el gasto medio fue de 1,89, por delante de Madrid (1,84) y de Cataluña (1,36), mientras que en el resto no se superó el euro, especialmente en Extremadura (0,04), Castilla-La mancha (0,07) y La Rioja (0,11).

Not the sole criterion for culture, I admit, but a reasonable marker. I imagine most other places in Western Europe are ten times this, but I have no figures.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I have noticed when we go to the theatre in Santa Cruz, and when we went to see the Nutcracker last Xmas, that a very large part of the audience seems to be ex-pats, or at the very least, non-Spanish. 

There is, however, a solution:  put Rosie up on stage with them and your singing dog will pack the places to the rafters!   :dogwagging:

Nova

I don't think the amount of money spent on classical music is a very good gauge of cultural appreciation.  I am perhaps not the best example, but I am not a cultural moron.  I love going to the theatre, visiting historical sites and other things that could be considered as "culture".  I also very much dislike most classical music.  :tiphat:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Nova on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:32
I also very much dislike most classical music.  :tiphat:

Let the argument begin!   :97:

NAH

Never ride faster than your angel can fly.

Perikles

Quote from: NAH on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 13:20
I'm sure you mean 'discussion' :)

Hey - multiquote doesn't work.

Anyway, there are no grounds for argument or discussion really. Sobre gustos no hay nada escrito.  :ermthink:

Nova

Multiquote does work, you mustn't be using it properly  :P

Click "Multiquote" for each post you want to quote until the last one, then for the last one, click "Quote" and wait a moment for the box to populate.

You could also ask Janet to show you the other way of doing it  ;)

Quote from: Perikles on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 13:38
Anyway, there are no grounds for argument or discussion really. Sobre gustos no hay nada escrito.  :ermthink:

Absolutely!  That's why something which is so subject to personal taste as the amount of money spent on classical music cannot be an indicative measure of cultural awareness and appreciation  :tiphat:

—————

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

The way I read the original post was that a value judgement was being made about the relationship between culture and classical music.  Put it this way, I am willing to bet the beer Perikles owes me that no one ever has or will bemoan the amount of money spent per head on rap or hip hop (I do not call them music) as being indicative of a lack of culture.  In fact I would say that any money spent on them is indicative of a complete lack of culture.

:musicboohoo:

Nova

—————

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 13:48Absolutely!  That's why something which is so subject to personal taste as the amount of money spent on classical music cannot be an indicative measure of cultural awareness and appreciation  :tiphat:

If you make a list of things which might be considered some form of culture, it would be idiotic not to include classical music. It must then follow that there is some correlation between cultural awareness and classical music, just like a correlation between cultural awareness and anything else on the list.

Did your maths degree involve anything remotely connected with statistics?  :P :P