News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Proposed shopping mall in Adeje

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Thu 9 Aug 2012, 12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

To recap for anybody who is unaware, there is a proposal in the works to build an ultra-mega-shopping centre on the Tropicana site in Adeje.  Unsurprisingly, a lot of local business people are not in favour of it. 

In the 10/8-23/8 issue of Tenerife News, it says that the business association says development of the mall would "brutally downgrade" Adeje, destroy jobs, and damage tourism.

One of the claims I have heard from those in favour is that it would positively impact tourism because people would flock from all over this island and neighbouring ones to avail themselves of the facilities which would include restaurants. 

I have not formed an opinion about whether it would be good or not.  Certainly, everything in the area would be negatively impacted.  Who, for example, would want to go to the present Mercadona when they could go to the one in the new mall?  For my money they could simply close Gran Sur, which I think would struggle to compete.  But perhaps employees in those locations could get jobs in the new mall.  Do we have enough critical mass to support "the largest out-of-town shopping centre in Spain" (Tenerife News op. cit)? 

My question is how well they have worked out the business plan, if indeed they have one at all.  Castellón and its phenomenally expensive white elephant of an airport come to mind. 

Oh, and another question, which is, would the damned thing be open between 1300 and 1700?    :giggle:

Anybody have any strong feelings either way?

Janet

It's not just that one either! There is also construction planned on another 120,000 sq.m. commercial centre on the site next to Siam Park!  :loopy:

There's controversy over that one too because the original land designation was "leisure" but it has been now been recategorized as "commercial". Businesses say that this is paradoxical and incomprehensible because the area's leisure facilities are deficient, whilst the commercial offer is excessive. The authorities say that this is nonsensical given that it's right next to Siam Park!  :014:

Neither one of these huge developments is needed, in my opinion, and I don't think there are remotely enough "customers" to make either worthwhile. It all smacks yet again of vested interests making money ... and the only people who will lose will be the small businesses who "invest" in what will be exactly that white elephant you're talking about. Oh, and the unemployed will lose too because there'll be no genuinely extra jobs, but that's all OK because a few people will make a lot of money in various ways from the development of the plots, the planning, the building, the permisos, the licences ..... corruption? surely not ... they're all clean, aren't they?  :broke: :basebat:

I guess you could say I have strong feelings .....  :speech:

:laugh:

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Thu  9 Aug 2012, 12:38In the 10/8-23/8 issue of Tenerife News, it says that the business association says development of the mall would "brutally downgrade" Adeje, destroy jobs, and damage tourism.

I suppose they would say that, wouldn't they, if they are voice of commerce in Adeje with shops which would suffer. But I can't really see how this would boost tourism. Do tourists come here to go shopping, and eating in a shopping mall? On the other hand, I don't understand the claim it would damage tourism. How?

It sounds like another white elephant to me. The difference between this one and the various dead airports in Spain is that this one is supposed to be financed entirely by private money, whereas the dead airports were partly wasted public money. (Have I got that right?) So go ahead and keep some builders happy for a while.

Janet

The new Tropicana Commercial Centre has now been given the final go-ahead with the Canarian High Court's rejection of an appeal submitted by the Canarian Commerce Federation, Fedeco, against its viability. The Court ruled that there was no municipal law to preclude the granting of a licence. It's anyone's guess as to when it will actually open, but open it will. JA

Janet

I want .....

Carrefour
M&S (clothes and food)
Corte Inglés branch

... um ...

what about you?? :D

Nova

Ditto, especially M&S food, that would be fab!!!

I suppose Sainsbury's would be too much to ask for?  :-X
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Michael

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

So the super mall is supposed to be on the Tropicana site?

I certainly wouldn't object to an Iceland, and would positively welcome Ikea.  That is in addition to Janet's and Nova's wish lists. 

Janet

Oh god yes, Ikea!!

Yes, Tropicana. Here's the architect's impression .... note the size of it compared with the current Mercadona complex!

Nova

Is that the Gran Sur bottom right??
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial