Granadilla Ayuntamiento shuts Atogo dog refuge

Started by Janet, Tue 17 Jul 2012, 14:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Granadilla Ayuntamiento has decided unanimously to act against an animal refuge in Atogo because of its "unwholesome conditions" and for lacking the relevant administrative authorizations  to operate. Mayor Jaime González Cejas said that the refuge, which does not have a licence, has become a dog shelter  of worrying proportions, cramming in some 400 dogs.

Deputy mayor Esteban González said that the situation is creating a health risk both for humans and animals and that the Ayuntamiento had no alternative but to initiate proceedings, both in terms of a fine (expected to be somewhere between €150 and 1,500) and for the transfer of all the animals to the Finca La Valeria de Fasnia, which has been adapted by the Cabildo and equipped for such numbers of dogs. The Ayuntamiento said it would now be notifying the refuge of the municipal decision and that it trusted it would comply with the ruling to avoid further harm to the animals. JA

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Tue 17 Jul 2012, 14:28both in terms of a fine (expected to be somewhere between €150 and 1,500)

I hope that is per dog!  :098:

Janet

Granadilla Ayuntamiento has now closed down the Atogo refuge, which was run by Live Arico, and removed the dogs to a refuge in Fasnia. The Ayuntamiento says that some 10,000 kilos of rubbish has been removed from the Atogo site, and confirmed that Live Arico collaborated with Cabildo staff in the transfer of the animals. The Fasnia refuge will be run by the Federación Canaria de Asociaciones de Protectoras de animales y Plantas (Fecapap). Proceedings against Live Arico have now been started by Granadilla which the Ayuntamiento said should be resolved in the next few months. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

There has been a lot of press regarding this situation in recent weeks.  I have no inside or direct knowledge, but based on what I have read, think that this long overdue decision is the right one.  I would hope that those in positions of responsibility from the organisation would be prosecuted, and at the very least, forbidden from any involvement with animals again.  Agree with Perikles regarding the fine.

Breaks your hear to think of people mistreating animals with abandon.  At least there are good guys like Guanche giving serious consideration to helping a dog who needs a home.   :tiphat:

This post can only end with a happy dog :dogwagging: and his not seen before friend :dancerabbit:.

Guanche

Good! The only knowledge I have of this so called dog rescue centre is off Youtube. I have to admit I was very surprised that the staff allowed it to be shown. It was not good. It looked like a poorly built shanty town. Just the state of the buildings should have condemned it a long time ago. I have one memory of a man dancing round a compound with a large number of dogs following, I assumed he was staff. I thought to myself 'It's the bloody Pied piper of dog town' having all those dogs loose at the same time was and is stupid. Well done for closing it down :clap:

Janet

I don't think the people there were able to stop it being published ... as I understand it the videos were secretly taken by ex-supporters who had become disillusioned with the place ...

Janet

Fasnia Ayuntamiento has threatened to close the new refuge to which the Live Arico dogs were moved last year because it still lacks a licence. Mayor Damian Pérez said that if the Cabildo delays any longer in handing over reports to request the licence, the local authority will order the closure of the shelter which has now been open nine months. Mayor Pérez said that the municipality had asked the Cabildo twice for the documentation needed to obtain authorization. JA