ChalkCat would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept cookies from ChalkCat click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: La Orotava Corpus Christi carpet display 2017

Offline Janet

• Forum Greek
  • A book, a cup of tea, a garden ...
La Orotava Corpus Christi carpet display 2017
« on: Wed 26 Apr 2017, 14:39 »

I’m always asked well in advance about the Corpus Christi carpets in La Orotava, so for those who want to make plans to see La Orotava’s Corpus Christi carpet displays this year, 2017’s festival will be celebrated on 22 June. The making of the famous alfombras form part of La Orotava’s fiestas patronales, the week-long celebration being in honour of Corpus Christi, San Isidro Labrador and Santa María de La Cabeza, and the day of the carpets is one of La Orotava’s two municipal public holidays.

The carpets are world famous, and have held the Guinness World Record for the largest ephemeral carpet display in the world since 2006. Every year there is something different and spectacular, with the designs made into carpets with coloured earth from the Teide National Park. As always, there will be a webcam showing the carpets coming to fruition, and I’ll post a link in due course. There’s an annually updated post for previous years’ displays HERE.
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Offline NAH

• Code Wizard ;
Re: La Orotava Corpus Christi carpet display 2017
« Reply #1 on: Wed 26 Apr 2017, 15:30 »
Just a 'heads up' @Janet but NAHOH checked the camera the other day and it's pointing in totally the wrong direction to observe them building the fantastic 'carpet'.

Can you please get them to sort out the camera ? :)
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.

Next in Tenerife:

Currently In Tenerife
2 months 4 days 4 hours 55 minutes remaining

Offline Janet

• Forum Greek
« Reply #2 on: Wed 26 Apr 2017, 15:31 »
oh yes, I'll put it on my list ....

::)

:giggle:

Offline Janet

• Forum Greek
« Reply #3 on: Wed 21 Jun 2017, 10:53 »

Yesterday, La Orotava’s principal Corpus Christi carpet in the plaza in front of the Ayuntamiento was unveiled for all to see. Tomorrow is the main day for the town’s sand carpet displays but from today they are on show to the public in all their glory.