Missing dead bodies in Tenerife

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Sat 21 Feb 2015, 12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

There have been three recent episodes of dead bodies going missing in Tenerife, on the west of the island, within about 3km from where I live.

While out walking the dogs, we have come across the remains of two dead rats and a rabbit.  I thought it funny (peculiar, not ha ha) when after a day or two the rat bodies simply disappeared.  The street cleaners don't clean where they were.  Yesterday there was a dead rabbit's body on the road (Vera to the TF-82 if anyone is interested) so OH moved it off the road.  Today, the body is GONE.

Who or what is taking these dead bodies, and for what purposes?  Any ideas? 

Janet

Birds of prey?

Stray podencos? (Rosie brought something home like that once and buried it under a tree) ...

Nova

Dogs, cats, feral or otherwise?  :undecided:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Michael

I watched a sparrow hawk eating a dove at the bottom of our garden.

All he/she left was the skeleton and feathers.

Next morning even that was gone.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

That's exactly it.  No trace of the bodies at all.  I think the podenco/feral dog/cat ideas are probably the likeliest.

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 14:29
That's exactly it.  No trace of the bodies at all.  I think the podenco/feral dog/cat ideas are probably the likeliest.

Dogs have a habit of finding something like a dead rabbit and taking it away for at least a few yards before dropping it, so in all likelihood that's the reason.

Aside: On the farm during lambing time, I always cleared away afterbirths and put them in a pile next to the path back to the farmhouse. During that period, at night the dog would drag one a few yards onto the path and leave it there. Every single night I would fall on my back after slipping on one. Did you know afterbirth is incredibly slippery?

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

No, but you have just saved us from the same fate.  What a public service!