Report from Gran Canaria

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

We're in San Augustín on the south coast, about 10km east of Maspalomas.  The hotel is right on the water and we're 4 floors up.  Had breakfast on the balcony.  Damn, it was too hot.  Shame.

We have been putting up with some jerk   no doubt poor but honest guy in a microlight helicopter all morning buzzing by; the landing strip is only a few hundred metres away. 

However that's not the news.  I thought he was coming to land on the balcony and rushed out.  I was entirely mistaken.  It was the gobierno helicopter flying by toward the west.  The concerning thing is it had a basket underneath it, they type they use to pour in wildfires.  If I get any further info I shall report it.

Otherwise you may have to put up with inane random thoughts.  I will say it so @Penkles doesn't have to:  business as usual.

Perikles

It must be nice for you to have a change of scenery. I must admit though that an oil rig at a distance looks remarkably like a scaffolding tower, although not so colourful, so perhaps they induce some nostalgia.  :tiphat:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

No views of oil rigs from the hotel.

The airstrip next door seems to cater for learner-pilots.  We have had take-offs every minute for hours.  Practice makes perfect, and one of these days the would be pilots may fly for Binter, so let them at it.

We had a lovely and I do mean lovely, conversation with a timeshare tout today!  He accosted us while we were finding a place to eat.  He asked me "Svensk?  Norge?" I said no.  He said "Where are you from?"  I said "Tenerife."  Whereupon the guy collapsed in laughter and we had a good time where he tried to guess where we were from.  He could not understand how I could speak Spanish.  Lots of good banter and he was quite disappointed he could not invite us to look at one of the timeshares he had on offer because we are residentes.  Nice guy.

Most tourists here seem to be Scandinavian.  Very well behaved, and they wear clothes in the street.  Most menus are in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish and Danish.  Locals are ASTOUNDED when anyone speaks Spanish to them.  I am a hit.

Nothing more from the gobierno helicopter.  That's a good thing.

We found a Chinese restaurant which had the most to-die-for homemade chili oil.  Copious amounts were consumed.

As I write planes have taken off another half a dozen times. 

Time for sundowners on the balcony.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Not much to report yet today.  We had a hell of a lot of rain so have been stuck indoors.  We even had to eat breakfast inside. 

The sea is brown from sand washed down a barranco.

Before the big rain hit we could see a ship almost on the horizon and it was square rigged.  It was enormous.

I best go lie down; the pace is killing me.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

[attach=1]

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Hey guess what, you really can have a good time in GC!

[attachimg=1]

Janet

I do hope the aspiradoras (vacuum cleaners) aren't part of the swingers' fun for all ...

:laugh:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Nova

LOL I was wondering why Myrtle was so excited to see hoovers  :rofl:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

NAH

It's strange but those signs seem more prominent than the one for the 'club'...perhaps it's an age thing :)
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.