Arona police close "classic English pub" for illegal gambling

Started by Janet, Tue 4 Mar 2014, 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Arona Policía Local have confirmed a report in today's Diario de Avisos that they have closed an illegal betting shop in the municipality. The shop took bets on horse races, and during the raid, some €2,000 was seized: police say that they think the business moves around €10,000 daily. Police say that the owner of the property had ignored repeated warnings because betting activity was a good sideline to his official business, which is a "classic English pub". Police say that given other irregularities, the amount of fines likely to be imposed will probably mean that the business has to close. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Delderek

That place has got to have been the worst kept "secret" in Los Cris ::)

Janet

Could be Churchills, yes ... but also could be the Highlander in Las Américas ... both known for it, and both in Arona.

edit: someone on my website has just said it's confirmed as the Highlander, though I don't know the value of the source.

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Tue  4 Mar 2014, 09:53Police say that the owner of the property had ignored repeated warnings

Being Arona, this means that brown envelopes were not handed to the right people.  :whistle:

Janet

or a number of denuncias - sufficient to be unignorable (ref brown envelopes for "ignorable") - were finally made by competitor businesses ...

Delderek

Quote from: Janet on Tue  4 Mar 2014, 16:16
Could be Churchills, yes ... but also could be the Highlander in Las Américas ... both known for it, and both in Arona.

edit: someone on my website has just said it's confirmed as the Highlander, though I don't know the value of the source.

If it isn't Churchills then their brown envelopes are larger than the other one :undecided:

Delderek

Also think that the name Highlander may not qualify as Classic English Pub.

Janet

yes, agree, but Spanish press and police won't readily identify them as different ... or will use "English" for anything British (or part thereof!) ...