Meteor showers in the Canaries in 2014

Started by Janet, Thu 2 Jan 2014, 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The first meteor shower of 2014 will be the Quadrantids, which should be visible best between midnight on Thursday and dawn on Friday. Astronomers say that this shower might be the best of all those we can expect to see this year. The full list of this year's meteor showers is:

January 3, 2014 Quadrantids
April 22, 2014 Lyrids
May 5, 2014 Eta Aquarids
July 29-30, 2014 Delta Aquarids
August 10-13, 2014 Perseids
October 7, 2014 Draconids
October 21, 2014 Orionids
November 4-5, 2014 South Taurids
November 11-12, 2014 North Taurids
November 17-18, 2014 Leonids
December 13-14, 2014 Geminids

Click HERE for full information on them all. JA

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Thu  2 Jan 2014, 21:03
The first meteor shower of 2014 will be the Quadrantids, which should be visible best between midnight on Thursday and dawn on Friday. Astronomers say that this shower might be the best of all those we can expect to see this year.

I've just been outside, pitch dark, not a cloud. Plenty of stars, not a single meteorite. I don't think I've ever seen a meteorite during an alleged shower, in fact.

Janet

Nor me. The link, though, says "if this year's forecast proves correct, eastern Asia might enjoy the most favorable location on the morning of January 4, though western North America could be in luck before sunrise January 3."

I don't think that we were ever going to be particularly favoured with this shower here.

Michael

Quote from: Janet on Fri  3 Jan 2014, 08:55
I don't think that we were ever going to be particularly favoured with this shower here.

I thought i'd strayed onto the Spanish politics thread there for a second.  :giggle:

I don't normally see a lot here. It's either too cloudy or too bloody cold to stay out for long.

I got a bit lucky in December with the Geminids though.

We had a couple of really clear nights when they were peaking and during my cigarette breaks I saw some absolute corkers.   :great:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I was outside around 5-something this morning.  It was totally clear and I saw nothing.

Janet

Just a reminder that the Lyrid meteor shower should be visible tonight if cloud cover allows. Experts say that although the peak was last night, it is the thinner moon tonight that makes viewing towards the north east optimal late tonight JA

Janet

It's not a regular meteor shower, but astronomers are saying that we might have to add one to the list if predictions are correct. Tomorrow night is expected to be the peak night of the anticipated Camelopardalid shower, so named because the meteors will radiate from the constellation Camelopardalis in the northern hemoisphere, coming from Comet 209P/LINEAR, discovered in 2004. If the meteor shower indeed takes place, Canada and north America and Europe will get the best view, but we should still see some here in the Canaries. Best time is actually for early birds on Saturday morning, between 6 and 8am. More information on this potential new meteor shower HERE. JA

Janet

It's mainly going to be visible in the southern hemisphere, it seems, but the Delta Aquarid meteor shower will be visible between now and early August, peaking on Tuesday and Wednesday, 29 and 30 July. Best time to see them is apparently an hour or two before dawn, and although somewhat faint, there will at least not be a very bright moon for them to contend with, and it will have set in the early evening anyway. The Delta Aquarids will be closely followed by the bright Perseids which can be seen much nearer midnight until dawn with a peak around 10-13 August.  JA

Michael

Quote from: Janet on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 17:28
It's mainly going to be visible in the southern hemisphere, it seems, but the Delta Aquarid meteor shower will be visible between now and early August, peaking on Tuesday and Wednesday, 29 and 30 July. Best time to see them is apparently an hour or two before dawn, and although somewhat faint, there will at least not be a very bright moon for them to contend with, and it will have set in the early evening anyway. The Delta Aquarids will be closely followed by the bright Perseids which can be seen much nearer midnight until dawn with a peak around 10-13 August.  JA

So that's why I never see anything.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

same here, though I always blame the cloud ... :D