Explosion in Bahía Príncipe hotel

Started by Janet, Fri 27 Dec 2013, 20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

At least five people have been injured in an explosion shortly after 4pm in a terrace of the Bahía Príncipe hotel in Playa Paraiso. Diario de Avisos is reporting that one of those affected is a young woman who has suffered serious burns to the neck and face; she has been transferred to Candelaria hospital. The others have lesser injuries and have been taken to medical centres in south Tenerife.  The explosion thankfully did not result in a fire, and the cause is initially thought to be a bottle of carbon dioxide, though this is to be confirmed. The Servicio de Urgencias Canario, Policía Local de Adeje, Bomberos and Guardia Civil all attended the incident. JA

Janet

Update:

At least five people have been injured in an explosion shortly after 4pm in a terrace bar in the Bahía Príncipe hotel in Playa Paraiso. One of those affected is a young British woman who has suffered serious burns to her face, neck and scalp; she has been transferred to Candelaria hospital. The others have lesser injuries and have been taken to Hospitén Sur and Quiron Costa Adeje Hospital: they are an 8-year-old British girl; a British man; a 38-year-old Belgian woman; and a 34-year-old woman. The explosion thankfully did not result in a fire, and the cause is initially thought to be a bottle of carbon dioxide, though this is to be confirmed. The Servicio de Urgencias Canario, Policía Local de Adeje, Bomberos and Guardia Civil all attended the incident.

Delderek

Janet

no problem  :)  ... merged them  :tiphat:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I don't get this.

QuoteRoss Browning, editor of Canarian Weekly, told Sky News the explosion was caused by a beer canister.

A beer canister?  What is such a thing and why would it explode in flames?

Janet

The emergency services have said "a CO2 bottle", and even that's an hypothesis. CW's report says a beer cannister. Never mind that they're giving it as a definitive reason when it isn't, are beer cannisters CO2 bottles?

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 15:05
I don't get this.

A beer canister?  What is such a thing and why would it explode in flames?

A beer can full of petrol? Even that wouldn't explode much.

Marion

Another report said it was a gas bottle on a portable food warming trolley. That would make mor sense.

Janet

Yes, that's what I've heard ... do they use carbon dioxide ?

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 17:41
Yes, that's what I've heard ... do they use carbon dioxide ?

Yer - carbon dioxide is really explosive.  :043: