Policeman attacked in Los Cristianos as Arona clamps down on illegal street vendor trading

Started by Janet, Tue 10 Sep 2013, 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

A 33-year-old Senegalese was arrested  on Saturday after attacking a Los Cristianos policía local officer who stopped him as he was selling sunglasses. The police say that their attention to street vendors has been greatly increased over the last few weeks, the result not only of the long overdue fulfillment of political promises in Arona, but also after pressure from businesses in the area who claim a loss of 30% trade to such illegal trading.

Víctor Sánchez, president of the Asociación de Empresarios de Playa de Las Américas y Costa Adeje (Aepaca), said that the street sellers usually flee towards Las Américas from the Adeje coastline because of the firmer stance taken in that municipality. Sr Sánchez said that businesses complain too that the street vendors even enter shops to try to tempt customers away from legitimate businesses. Police say that they will continue to clamp down on the activity, and this attack surely won't soften their attitudes. JA

Guanche

This may sound a bit hard but I think this bad news, for the officer, will result in good news for the residents and tourist. Getting these 'looky looky' people off the street, handbag sellers and hair braiders. They have been a blight on the South for years. Now the  gloves are off you might see a bit of action.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Why doesn't the Spanish government just deport these assholes?  They have no right or reason to be here, do not contribute to society, and are bad for the tourist industry.  I just don't get why they are allowed to freely roam the streets.

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 11:50
Why doesn't the Spanish government just deport these assholes?  They have no right or reason to be here, do not contribute to society, and are bad for the tourist industry.  I just don't get why they are allowed to freely roam the streets.

That's no way to speak about the Policía Local.  :k1:

Guanche

I just wonder how they go on for health care things like that? I'm sure they don't pay national insurance and they probably don't know what income tax is!

Perikles

Quote from: Guanche on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:10
I just wonder how they go on for health care things like that? I'm sure they don't pay national insurance and they probably don't know what income tax is!

They probably don't have health care, but take the view that it is no worse than where they came from. In an emergency, the hospital has a legal obligation to attend to them. They have to identify themselves and give an address, to which the hospital sends the bill. Simple. Anyone see a problem which that procedure?  :whistle:

Michael

To be honest, on my own personal 'pain in the ass scale', street vendors are only about a 4.

Far far worse are the PRs. They're a definite 10.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

I agree, Guanche, I think it will be good news in the end not least because the police aren't going to take a softly softly approach any more ... not that they ever did! :D

mac, I agree witih you too, the PRs are worse from my perspective.

Janet

Someone on FB has just asked if the police action on ILLEGAL street trading will deprive them of an income and make them turn to CRIME ...

:banghead:

:laugh:

Michael

Quote from: Janet on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 17:45
Someone on FB has just asked if the police action on ILLEGAL street trading will deprive them of an income and make them turn to CRIME ...

:banghead:

:laugh:

I trust they got a suitable response?  :giggle:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: