News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Rare “living fossil” found off Poris de Abona

Started by Janet, Thu 22 Aug 2013, 09:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Well it's not a shark this time, or at least it doesn't look like it at first glance. Some say it's a conger eel, but others say it's a frilled, or eel shark, however, and a google image search shows they could be right. If so, it is a creature that fossils show was around 80 million years ago, a rare species, and one of the few still existing with such a history. I say whatever it is I'm glad I wasn't in the water when it was alive!

This specimen, however, is dead, and it is now the fifth shark (assuming that's what it is) that has been found dead or alive on Tenerife's beaches this month. The photo above was uploaded to the Tenerife Mi Tierra Facebook page having been taken by Mercedes Ramos Perez after the creature  was found dead by fishermen near the Poris de Abona lighthouse. It won't have been alone, of course, and it would be fascinating to see one of these alive, in full movement ... as long as someone else were taking the photo ... JA

Michael

Erm, maybe i'll stick to the pool next time.  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Perikles

Quote from: Michael on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 13:19
Erm, maybe i'll stick to the pool next time.  :undecided:

I've seen more disgusting sights in swimming pools to be honest, although probably less dagerous.

Michael

Quote from: Perikles on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 14:59
I've seen more disgusting sights in swimming pools to be honest, although probably less dagerous.

I'm forced to agree with that.  :giggle:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Nova

So is "dagerous" a good thing or a bad thing?  :017:  :giggle:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial