News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Siam Park's picnic policy

Started by Nova, Mon 1 Jul 2013, 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

You all know by now that I'm something of a fussy eater so eating out anywhere unvetted is a big no-no.  I have been to Siam Park twice before and both times I took a cool bag and ate my sandwiches on the beach bit with the wave machine, which was very pleasant.  However, when we went on Friday, we were stopped at the inner turnstyle after we had paid, shown a sign saying "No Picnics" also inside the area after the ticket windows, and asked to open our bags so they could check there was no food inside!  Of course my sister was carrying the cool bag with all our sandwiches in so she showed it and we were made to hand it over for custody and given a numbered ticket to reclaim it later.  We were told we could go back for it whenever we wanted but we would have to eat outside and then would be allowed in again afterwards.  Relieved that it wasn't going to be confiscated, we handed our food over and kept the ticket safe.

When we got hungry, we had to get our hands stamped, ring a bell by one of the doors under the entrance arches and tell somebody our number, then wait until the girl appeared to hand over our lunch.  Not so bad so far, we were reminded we had to eat it outside, so out we went, perched on a ledge in the wall just outside the gate and started eating.  Until we were moved along by somebody telling us we couldn't eat there and waving us away.  So we moved round and found a little bit of shade to stand in away from the entrance at the corner of the building.  Yet again we were moved on and directed into a narrow space between the side of the building and a filthy truck, beside two bins.  Reluctant to actually go into that space to eat we hovered outside it away from the bins, but the same employee came back again, insisting and ushering us right into the corner.  I protested that I didn't want to eat my lunch by the bins and just stood there open-mouthed in disbelief while the bastard insisted and continued shaking his head and herding us right into the three foot space between a bin of garden waste and fag ends and the wheel of the truck.

Especially considering that my two sisters paid 33€ each and I €19,50 as a resident, I think that was pretty disgusting.  Take heed Siam Park, if the idea is to force visitors to buy expensive burgers and bocadillos it won't work, I will simply think twice before going again or about taking anybody else.  Fine, prohibit food inside the park and allow visitors to collect it, eat outside and return, but provide us somewhere shady to eat, even if it's just that, a shade over an outside area, preferably with a bench or two.  A proper picnic area would be a nice touch that would make me want to come again, but I will not be forced to eat in the corner with the bins like a third class malingerer  :nono:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Michael

I despise that 'screw them for every penny you can' attitude in any business. That would stop me from going.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

It's just won some award for being one of the top ten places according to Trip Advisor ... but one review HERE says " The only down side is you can't take food in and its SOOO expensive to buy food."

Stuff that!

Nova

It's a shame because we really enjoyed the park, as always, and would certainly have gone again many times and recommended it to others, but the memory of being herded into the bin corner like a naughty schoolchild just left an ugly blemish on the day that probably means I will never go again.  It isn't even as if they cater for veggies among their super-expensive food, so they've basically just told me that they don't want my custom.  Well stuff you Siam Park  :P
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Michael

Quote from: Nova on Mon  1 Jul 2013, 22:01
It's a shame because we really enjoyed the park, as always, and would certainly have gone again many times and recommended it to others, but the memory of being herded into the bin corner like a naughty schoolchild just left an ugly blemish on the day that probably means I will never go again.  It isn't even as if they cater for veggies among their super-expensive food, so they've basically just told me that they don't want my custom.  Well stuff you Siam Park  :P

Trip Advisor. Go stick the boot in. The full story.  ;)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

poker

Its a pitty but a busines model a lot of parks use ,to have the food and drinks expencive , It was the same in Disneyland Paris when we went few years ago .

I do not really see how the business part of it makes logic ?
I do not think they are making the best profit or advertising for them this way .

Imagine Macdonalds asking something like 5 € for a burger , they would have no clients at all and sertainly not get to be a multinational .

They probably think everybody that comes to their park is in allinclusive and on vacation and will spend anyhow ?

Must be they are doing the park thing good there are plans to make a Siampark in Gran Canaria also , they already have a site where to build it .

Briz

Well I wouldn't have moved from my selected picnic area ie. the wall no matter what the officials said

Don't they declare their "no food" policy when selling tickets?

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Mon  1 Jul 2013, 21:06so out we went, perched on a ledge in the wall just outside the gate and started eating.  Until we were moved along by somebody telling us we couldn't eat there and waving us away.  So we moved round and found a little bit of shade to stand in away from the entrance at the corner of the building.

Yes, at this point you could start being bolshy and demand to see the rule that says you can't eat something precisely there. Create a scene. I would love to have the courage to do that myself, but I'm far too wet.

I wouldn't go there on principle.

El Profesor

They cannot defend this.
The gripe about the food they provide inside isn't just that it's expensive, but it is bad quality and you spend half the already pricey day queuing for it.

The kids and I always seem to be able to smuggle the lunch in, wrapped in towels etc.

If they made me go outside to eat it . . . then sorry, it would be outside the gate or in the road in front of the entrance. Move me on by force mate, or call the police.