News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Siam Park's picnic policy

Started by Nova, Mon 1 Jul 2013, 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Briz

Quote from: Nova on Wed  3 Jul 2013, 20:30
Ooh Janet, I have to say that some of the comments on your blog are getting me quite wound up - I daren't reply there!  Although the majority of the comments are understanding and supportive, some of them are echoing the same attitude I got from Siam Park - basically if you don't want the food, don't go.  That's the message I got loud and clear from Siam on Friday, in fact I don't know why they don't just stick a sign on the bins saying "Vegetarian Picnic Area" or even say on the entrance "People with special dietary requirements not welcome".  "Buy a burger or don't come in" as though the sale of a tatty piece of junk food is worth more than the sale of an entrance ticket.

Maybe I should have expected that my own food would not be allowed but having been allowed in with the same cool bag on both previous visits and even eaten my own food on the beach in full view with no skulking whatsoever, it wouldn't even have occurred to me to check.

And then I think, if I were to go again, what would I do?  Spend an hour out of the already expensive day wandering around looking for the one food item in the place that's non-meat, non-seafood, non-dairy, non-fried, non-plancha'd and non-cross-contaminated?  And if I don't find such a food item?  I either starve or I take my own food and eat by the bins?  At a world-classs tourist attraction in Europe in the 21st century I think that's a pretty poor business model.  Even if they charge more at the gate to cover any lost revenue Siam Park seriously needs to make itself more inclusive, or at least be less hostile towards visitors with special requirements.  Though when I see ordinary people expressing the same intolerance for diversity I don't hold out much hope...

Wouldn't it be best just to take some water and some fruit, that's all I eat between a light breakfast and my evening meal and it is quite substantial. I know young people need more calories than the over 60s but I'm sure you'll find it good option.

poker

Briz , if youre young and running up and sliding down in the water all day you burn calories in 123 and fruits wont be enouf .

I do agree its a good and healthy opion but difficult for the younger to exicute .

Nova

I really have a problem with fruit, especially in hot weather - the stickiness freaks me out.  I did consider that I could prepare a fruit salad diced in a tuppaware tub with a fork, but it would still take a helluva lot of it to take away the hunger enough that I didn't pass out at the top of a water slide.  Fruit is a dessert or a snack, it's isn't lunch, which is exactly why Siam allows it to be taken in.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

Nova's far from alone. I have a very sneaking regard for THIS man, who simply refuses to be ripped off. I think he oversteps the mark sometimes into plain dishonesty, but all the same ... aren't the ripoff merchants dishonest too??

With corruption on the increase (see HERE ... very similar results in Spain, so either it's really increasing or awareness is), and a feeling of complete impotence in confronting it prevailing in ordinary people's minds, what else can one do other than opt out of the system and look after one's own?

Briz

Quote from: Nova on Thu  4 Jul 2013, 17:28
I really have a problem with fruit, especially in hot weather - the stickiness freaks me out.  I did consider that I could prepare a fruit salad diced in a tuppaware tub with a fork, but it would still take a helluva lot of it to take away the hunger enough that I didn't pass out at the top of a water slide.  Fruit is a dessert or a snack, it's isn't lunch, which is exactly why Siam allows it to be taken in.

Hmm, I think fruit makes a very good lunch apple, banana half a pear and half an orange about 260 cals keeps me going until the evening. and I'm not lazy since I work out for 2-2.5 hours every day.

Two rounds of toast for breakfast hour, hour and a quarter in the gym fruit for lunch then gym again at 18:00 hours before having a real meal.

Janet

I have a problem with fruit's stickiness too, though, I have to say, and it wouldn't do for me either ... even though I agree it's filling enough. Poker doesn't seem to think it has enough calories for someone young and energetic, taking active part in a water park ...  :undecided:

Nova

Toast would never do me for breakfast either, especially before a day out, I'd be hungry within an hour.  I have a large bowl of porridge before work at about 7.30am and that staves off the hunger until 10.30/11am when I have my sandwiches.  Maybe it's because I'm herbivore, like sheep I graze.  I don't necessarily need to eat much but if I don't eat much I need to eat often.

I say good on the man in the article, but the difference is that I'm not quibbling about the money.  I would gladly pay them a tenner on top of the entrance fee just to be able to take my own lunch in and eat it in more pleasant surroundings.  There are a total of four establishments in the whole of Tenerife where I am prepared to eat, because those are the ones I have vetted.  I can't just turn up at a theme park or anywhere else and hope to be able to find suitable food at any price.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Briz

Quote from: Janet on Tue  9 Jul 2013, 13:05
I have a problem with fruit's stickiness too, though, I have to say, and it wouldn't do for me either ... even though I agree it's filling enough. Poker doesn't seem to think it has enough calories for someone young and energetic, taking active part in a water park ...  :undecided:
I'm not sure how many calories a young person thinks are required for a day in Siam Park but I'm sure I'd be ok with 200 for breakfast and my usual portion of fruit
I expect they would take my bottle of vino tinto off me at the entrance gate