News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Tenerife abattoir workers call indefinite strike

Started by Janet, Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

It seems inevitable now that the abattoir workers will be back on strike from next Tuesday. Once again, the formal notice of strike action confirms that the reason is unpaid wages. Some €50,000 is owed from October, and the workers say that they now feel that it is only strike action, or the threat of it, that will see them receive their wages on time, something that should be normal everywhere, let alone in an organization that is partly publicly run.

Workers add that this time the strike could be significant given that it is in the run-up to Christmas, but that they should not be accused of holding management to ransom: we just want our wages, they stress, arguing that if anything it is the last time of year that the ownership should withhold wages. It does seem that it is "money or strike" this time, with very little room for negotiation: the abattoir workers are more aggrieved than ever given regular recent delays in payment culminating in the latest non-payment, and the laying off of a dozen workers at the plant, and the reduction of wages of those remaining in employment. Vegetarian Christmas, anyone? JA

Janet

As feared, the abattoir workers have started their strike today. The abattoir owes workers wages for October, is making losses and, indeed, was unable to pay outstanding wages to call off the last strike: these were ultimately paid by local farmers. This time, there is no money, and workers say the situation is unsustainable, and can no longer be borne.

The abattoir is 33% owned by the Cabildo, and just a couple of weeks ago the consejero de Agricultura, José Joaquín Bethencourt, presented a viability plan to workers to try to save the plant which included, inevitably, layoffs  of up to 28% of the work force and wage reductions of 20% for the remainder. The plan was, of course, rejected, with workers saying that they have to receive salaries in the first place before they're reduced, and that they can hardly manage on their payments when they are in fact made, let alone manage on less!

Where it goes from here, who knows, but the results might become noticeable on meat shelves in Tenerife's supermarkets in the not too distant future. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

How can the only abattoir on the island be running at a loss when it has no competition?  Is is so badly managed that it can keep up with demand in the future with 72% of the present workforce?  Methinks the management is incompetent and they are drawing huge salaries.  Demanding the people who actually work there take a 20% pay cut is laughable.  It's not like they are paid like Spanish air traffic controllers. 

Delderek

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 10:59
How can the only abattoir on the island be running at a loss when it has no competition?  Is is so badly managed that it can keep up with demand in the future with 72% of the present workforce?  Methinks the management is incompetent and they are drawing huge salaries.  Demanding the people who actually work there take a 20% pay cut is laughable.  It's not like they are paid like Spanish air traffic controllers.

My comment is, how much meat is produced locally, in my non expert opinion, not very much. Isn't most of it imported from S.America?

El Profesor

Quote from: Delderek on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 12:02
My comment is, how much meat is produced locally, in my non expert opinion, not very much. Isn't most of it imported from S.America?

Indeed, this is probably why . . . . it can't compete.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

The beef mainly comes from South America, and the lamb mostly from New Zealand as far as I can tell.  But all the pig is home produced, I think.  And the chicken? 

Janet

Yes, the chicken I think ... I'm getting reports of some Mercadonas without whole fresh chickens on the shelves already.

Delderek

But Chickens don't go to abattoirs. They just use Pluckers and are normally pleasant people that used to pluck Pheasants. Hence Pleasant Pluckers!!! :03:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Delderek's post just made me think of what else is local and goes to the abattoir:  goats and rabbits.  Good think I eat neither.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I can report that the Mercadona in Adeje has plenty of fresh meat, and chicken in particular.  Though I did buy a whole chicken to put in the freezer, just in case.