News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Canarian unions call general strike on 14 Nov

Started by Janet, Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Guanche

I will try to get to Santa Cruz tomorrow to get some photos Janet, but no promises :tiphat:

Nova

Our HR have asked for a report on expected absences tomorrow. I doubt there will be any though.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Guanche on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 11:36
I will try to get to Santa Cruz tomorrow to get some photos Janet, but no promises :tiphat:

Sounds like you are going on strike as forum photographer  ;)

Guanche

I was going to break the strike....... but the wife went off with the car and won't be back until tomorrow! So it's no photos sorry.

Janet

not a problem, thanks for even thinking about it!!!  :tiphat:

Janet

The general strike has begun without much disruption, with agreed minimum services being provided to mitigate the high following of the strike by transport workers. In Santa Cruz, pickets have cut off Avenida Manuel Hermoso at the Cepsa refinery. Throughout Spain some 700 flights have been cancelled by various airlines operating in Spain, but while Madrid's Barajas airport has come to a complete standstill, Canarian airports are reported to be operating with complete normality. No doubt throughout the day there will be updates from the strike.  JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Business as usual

We ran into a neighbour while walking the dogs who said everything was open in our area with no signs of the strike.  We've just been to the coop and it was mobbed.  Whereas the older kids are out of school, the nursery school across the street from us is open, which surprised me. 

poker

We got mail this morning so our postman dident strike .
Don`t know about the postofficce .....

Nova

Our day has been very quiet.  The customers who did come in were surprised we were open and some were quite confused about it.  I don't know anyone who's been on strike - we even had two technicians come today to fix different bits of machinery!  The streets have been quiet though, suggesting that the general public just didn't know what to expect so stayed at home.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

Unions here are saying 75-85% support, but clearly that will be primarily in the north. They're saying that tourist-related support for the strike is virtually invisible, so in the south it won't be at all evident, seems to me.