News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Man resuscitated from drowning at Playa Fañabe

Started by Janet, Mon 1 Oct 2012, 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

A 60-year-old man is seriously ill in Hospitén Sur this evening after being resuscitated from a near drowning at Playa Fañabé this evening shortly before 7pm. Emergency services were called out with reports that the man had been pulled from the water by a fellow bather and was unconscious on the beach. Paramedics managed to bring him back to life and transferred him to hospital where he remains, ill but alive. JA

Nova

Another (near) drowning incident??  What is the matter with people?
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

Body shock ... get too warm, have a drink or two, go in the cool water ...

people don't realize ....

Guanche

The wife was only commenting before how cold the sea was when she went on Saturday. Maybe that may have played a part?

Janet

absolutely, guanche, it's the shock of the cold water if someone's been sunbathing, or is cooling off quickly after having become overheated.

Michael

Quote from: Janet on Mon  1 Oct 2012, 21:30
absolutely, guanche, it's the shock of the cold water if someone's been sunbathing, or is cooling off quickly after having become overheated.

Last week I walked from Torviscas to Los Cristianos. The signs showed 32deg. and I was a tad warm  :whistle: by the time I got there.

I intended to walk back but bottled out due to the heat so, I had a bite to eat and got a taxi back.

As soon as I got back I hit La Pinta beach. Was I at risk?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

If you got too hot and went in the cool/cold water, then yes, there was a risk .... but these are very rare events when you think of how many people use the beaches and the sea. It's not worth taking chances, though.  :)

Janet

just found THIS, which is typical of many results I found:

QuoteCold shock has been observed in people sensitive to cold at water temperatures as high as 77°F (25°C). In water below 60°F (15°C), the effects of immersion become significantly life-threatening to everyone.

Janet

Sadly, it has been announced that this poor man died in hospital. He was a 63-year-old Russian holidaymaker, and died shortly after arriving at Hospitén Sur despite initially being resuscitated at the beach. His distraught wife had been taken to hospital with him, and needed medical help herself  after witnessing the tragedy. JA