Barcelona terror attack

Started by Janet, Thu 17 Aug 2017, 17:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

It's being reported as a terror attack though it's still a new story ... a truck has ploughed into people in the Ramblas in Barcelona. Police are currently asking people to avoid that area and Plaza Catalunya. Several have been injured but I'm not aware of any confirmed fatalities at present but seeing some of the pictures I would think that there will be some.
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

macdonald5

OMG we were there a few weeks ago, loved the city
Do hope not many injured or worse xx

Janet

Cadena SER is reporting 13 dead and dozens seriously injured, quoting police sources. SER is usually ultra reliable.

Nova

Oh fuck... here we go again....
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

macdonald5

Ooooh dear this is bad , horrible news again

TOTO 99

Agencies seem to have cut back to one dead.....which is one too many....

I'll sit tight and wait for the "was known to the authorities".......What a world we live in.

Janet

from my website:

Following what is being treated as a terrorist attack in Barcelona when a hired van drove into a crowd of people in the Ramblas, the British Embassy in Madrid and Consulate General in Barcelona say that they are in contact with local authorities and urgently seeking further information. At present, it does seem that there are fatalities with perhaps dozens injured, and anyone in Barcelona has been asked to stay inside and stay away from the Las Ramblas area of the city. Catalonian police say that a person from Marseilles who has been living in the Spanish city of Girona has been arrested after trying to flee the scene, and that reports of gunmen holed up in a restaurant are false.

Official recommendations for those caught up in an ongoing incident are to turn any mobile phones or other devices to silent, to avoid putting the specific location on social media, and to follow the advice of the local authorities when instructed. If you are safe, follow the instructions of the Spanish authorities and notify friends and family via social networks, to avoid using phone lines. A helpline has been set up on 0034 93 214 21 24, although some callers have experienced problems with the line. The Spanish authorities are working to resolve this.

Janet

police have confirmed 13 deaths, 60+ injured.

Then there was a second similar van attack in Cambrils, a town south of Barcelona, and now it's reported that one of the victims of that attack has died ... though five "suspected terrorists" were themselves shot during that attack. They seem to have been wearing fake suicide belts.   

Police are saying this was one cell.

Nova

Fake suicide belts?? 

This is all so sad, but what makes it sadder is that it isn't even shocking any more.  And I have no hope whatsoever that these attacks are going to stop.  Nobody in power wants to stop them.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

TOTO 99

I can only assume that the fake suicide belts were either meant to add to the element of "terror" or perhaps allow them the freedom to run to safety without the risk of anyone jumping in to stop them?

I guess it's also possible that they didn't actually know they were fake. They'd rather die than get caught after all.

It points to a lack of terrorist resources either way. Wiping five out in one go was a good result. The more the authorities can do that, the smaller the queue to become a martyr will get.....