News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Canarian residents to get 75% travel discount on journeys between the islands

Started by Janet, Tue 27 Jun 2017, 09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

A measure that will give Canarian residents 75% discount on travel between the islands has been approved and will come into force as soon as the Budget is published in the Boletín Oficial del Estado (BOE). Canarian Government Transport minister Pablo Rodríguez says that the discount will be applied through the reservation system Amadeus.

This is a complementary policy to the 50% resident discount subsidised by the state under the EU's Outermost Regions Policy. This gives ultraperipheral status to those areas of the EU furthest away from the European continent and applies to all travel within Spain.

The SARA system will remain in place. This allows travel agents or carriers to check residence status direct with Ayuntamientos to apply the discount. It should free travellers from the requirement to produce a paper Empadronamiento para Viajar to acquire the discount but functions so erratically that residents are best advised to carry one in any case.
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Do you know when it will come into effect?  What if someone already has travel booked which includes the resident discount, and this becomes effective before travel?

Janet

All I know is what the government has said, which is that the discount "will come into force as soon as the Budget is published in the Boletín Oficial del Estado (BOE)". I don't know when that will be, I'm afraid, but it should be in the very near future (weeks at most, perhaps days). The BOE is published daily so it just depends which edition it goes in.

I don't know for sure, but suspect, that since there is a new (Amadeus) system to administer the discount at point of purchase, and tickets already bought when it comes into force will remain undiscounted.

Janet

confirmation from the Canarian Transport minister that this is expected to come into force tomorrow or the day after, that soon,  and that it will only apply to tickets bought after that date. Interview here:

:link:

Anne 2009

Wow that's a good offer. I may come over and get residency. I'll just pop over to the other forum to ask about job vacancies  ;)

Janet

The measure has been published today in the BOE, and so the increased discount willl come into force tomorrow, as usual the day after the measure is published in the Boletín. To clarify a slight confusion about whether the measure applies to ferries and flights, technically the resident discount is only for flights, with that for ferries remaining at 50% BUT the Canarian Government will add its own subsidy to ferry prices to bring the price down so that the discount is effectively 75%. As far as travellers are concerned, flying or sailing between the islands is now a quarter of the full cost as from tomorrow.

Nova

Time for me to think about finally visiting another island methinks  :whistle:  I've been here over 10 years and never even been over to La Gomera  :giggle:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Anne 2009

Quote from: Nova on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 10:57
Time for me to think about finally visiting another island methinks  :whistle:  I've been here over 10 years and never even been over to La Gomera  :giggle:
I'm the same @Nova . All the years i have been visiting Tenerife, i always say i'm going to do the ferry to La Gomera, but still haven't done it.