ChalkCat uses cookies in order to function correctly.
To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept cookies from ChalkCat click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The scam that Brits use to pay for their holiday in Spain

Offline Michael R

Re: The scam that Brits use to pay for their holiday in Spain
« Reply #30 on: Wed 12 Jul 2017, 11:23 »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4688306/Couple-faked-10-000-sickness-claim-holiday.html

Good to see Thomas Cook fighting back against the fake scammers. (hopefully the link works!!)

Offline Nova

• Forum Geek
  • Say something nice!
« Reply #31 on: Wed 12 Jul 2017, 11:35 »
The link is fine   That's great news!  Very nice to see the scams backfiring on the scammers  :clap:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Offline Janet

« Reply #32 on: Wed 12 Jul 2017, 11:40 »
There's also a Greek hotel that's counter-suing scammers for reputation damage, a huge counter claim where the couple fear losing their house ... and so are trying to drop the case ...

without realising that their original "case" has now become a criminal one of fraud that is beyond their control to "drop" or not  ...

There's also been someone arrested, in the Balearics I think, but in Spain somewhere I'm almost certain, for walking the streets trying to drum up claims to submit to a legal firm. No doubt the "PR" person was in for a tiny cut of commission for any claims that ended up being submitted, or won.

I remember when I first posted this last year about the scam in Tenerife, and as usual the post went from my website to twitter and Facebook, there were a couple of Facebook followers who really didn't like the story, and could see nothing wrong with it, and indeed accused all of us reporting it, or criticising it, of trying to do ordinary people out of paid work in times that were really hard. They couldn't begin to see, it seemed, that being a scumbag was just being a scumbag and that "hard times" didn't make someone a scumbag, nor justify someone becoming one.

These claims represent an increase of nearly 1000% for such "illnesses" in (always) all-inclusive hotels (where it can supposedly be "proven" that the holidaymakers ate at the hotel) ... and where only the British holidaymakers got sick despite an equal number of Italian, French, Dutch, German, Russian, Estonian, Lithuanian whatever tourists being in the same hotel at the same time.

And then these idiots post their stupid photos on Facebook showing them having a fabulous time, drawing attention to themselves by drinking bucketfuls of alcohol and behaving like only Brits abroad can do, and filling out holiday surveys on the flight home saying they had a wonderful time ... and leaving the "any problems" section blank ...

I've said before there's something about the Brits being the only nationality that won't issue denuncias to the police, but would rather complain on Facebook. Seemingly they're the only nationality too that thinks it's a laugh or an easy scam to make a fraudulent insurance claim that could ruin someone's reputation.

What is it with Brits? I am so seriously jaundiced at the moment, and not least with the monumental Brexit negotiation cockup, that I am closer to becoming Spanish than I have ever been before.
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Michael R

« Reply #33 on: Wed 12 Jul 2017, 11:48 »
At risk of maybe upsetting a few people, I will say that I am proud to say that I am English, I'm not British! I'm English!! I was born in the North East of England and I am proud of my roots and heritage. Having said that, I find that some of the behavior of our country folk abroad is often embarrassing and shameful.

Offline Anne 2009

« Reply #34 on: Wed 12 Jul 2017, 12:07 »
I wonder how many brits try it on in their own country! I bet it's only a few.

Offline Myrtle Hogan-Lance

• Forum Turtle
« Reply #35 on: Thu 7 Sep 2017, 08:27 »
British mum and daughter accused of being 'masterminds of Majorca food poisoning scam'

I am as sceptical as anybody about Spanish authorities but think they wouldn't have raided the homes of and arrested two women without very good suspicion. 

Offline Medman

• Not bad for a man of my age
« Reply #36 on: Thu 7 Sep 2017, 09:11 »
At risk of maybe upsetting a few people, I will say that I am proud to say that I am English, I'm not British! I'm English!! I was born in the North East of England and I am proud of my roots and heritage. Having said that, I find that some of the behavior of our country folk abroad is often embarrassing and shameful.

Your passport begs to differ (I presume) ...  :D

Offline Marion

• Lurker - I'm reading over your shoulder
« Reply #37 on: Thu 7 Sep 2017, 22:43 »
The claims companies are still advertising on radio over here.
"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

- Diane Ackerman

Offline Janet

« Reply #38 on: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:03 »
A British couple who falsely claimed €20,000 compensation for food poisoning they allegedly suffered while on a Thomas Cook holiday to Majorca in 2015 have been jailed by a Liverpool Court. The pair, 53-year-old Deborah Briton and 43-year-old Paul Roberts, were sentenced to nine and fifteen months respsectively in prison after admitting four fraud charges. Thomas Cook said that the case was serious, and a reflection of what is happeing in the British travel industry. Here in the Canaries, tourism authorities and the hostelry industry have expressed satisfaction at the outcome of the case, the first of its kind to involve a custodial term.

One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Perikles

• Grammar Police
  • cacoēthes fodiendī
« Reply #39 on: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:12 »
If stupidity were a crime, they would be jailed for another 10 years. They were busted by their internet postings about a fabulous holiday.  :rofl: :rofl:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•