News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

EU supports Canaries' priority for local workers

Started by Janet, Sun 8 Jul 2012, 22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The EU has ruled that the Canarian Government may give priority to Canarian resident workers without it being considered discriminatory. The minister for Economía, Hacienda y Seguridad, Javier González Ortiz, has said the decision is "very positive" and that the high rate of unemployment in the islands is not just a consequence of the loss of jobs, but of the large number of foreign workers seeking employment here.

Sr González Ortiz added that the weakness of the local job market and the high impact of the economic crisis here were aspects of the case that the EU took on board when deciding that the Canarian Government's priority of local workers did not breach EU treatises.  This consideration has also been incorporated into the recent EU report on the new strategy for ultraperipheral regions for 2014-2020. JA

Nova

I hope that only applies to new recruits and not existing employees?  Please tell me they haven't just made it legal to sack me for being foreign?  :undecided:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

No, they can't --- you have a contract.  ;)

Nova

—————

Janet

President Rivero has called on businesses to "employ residents", as the crisis deepens. He reproached businesses for contracting employees "from abroad". Now hang on a minute, Mr President. There are plenty of "residents" here who originated "abroad". If you intend to say "only employ Canarians and let foreigners go hang", please have the goodness to say it straight.

Michael

Just a thought, but i'm guessing that a significant number of employers are themselves from abroad.

So will anything this guy says make much difference?
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

No, and many Canarian employers won't employ Canarians either because they have a reputation for laziness and untrustworthiness (it's why you can't pay in cash in so many official places, because they don't trust their own staff!) ... but it's indicative of the nationalistic and small-minded attitude of the CC.

The CC are only interested in themselves. Not the Canaries. Nor Canarians. Despite what Rivero says about jobs for Canarians, the CC are only interested in the CC political elite. This is the party in power here, and the party, for example, in power in Arona where Canarian (!) lifeguards haven't been paid for seven months.

This is why the Prof said that Arona Ayuntamiento will now probably pay the lifeguards, because the Government (with the CC as ruling party) has told them to. They are all as one. And they are a Canarian nationalistic political elite.

And the Canarians vote for them!

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I'm still confused.  No need to respond.

Nova

—————

Myrtle Hogan-Lance