EU supports Canaries' priority for local workers

Started by Janet, Sun 8 Jul 2012, 22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

El Profesor

Rivero is a nationalist scaremonger. A sign of the times.

The reality is that it is much cheaper for a hotel to employ, say, an efficient German, Belgian, Dutch, Russian etc. receptionist and pay to teach them Spanish, than try to find a Canarian who is sufficiently trained for the job.
So that is what they do.

Rivero will get his political mileage from that, but he won't change it ....... unless he starts investing in education instead of cutting it.

Janet

Quote from: El Profesor on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:59
Rivero is a nationalist scaremonger. A sign of the times.

No doubt why there's a State of Canarian Nationality debate in parliament today. Why? When I was listening to the radio yesterday, caller after caller was saying that given all aspects of the crisis, how the people (all of them) are in extremis, how children TIENEN HAMBRE COÑO ... how despite all this, we have a state of nationality debate. Why the fuck?

All concluded that when in crisis and with no answers, when one's back's up against the wall, turn on the outsiders and create tribalism.

FFS :scowl:

Janet

I'll be on Radio Sur Adeje around 1.15 or so today talking about this issue, if anyone fancies listening in.  :tiphat:

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

I wish I had more notice to give you .....   ::)  :D

Janet

just for context, this is as of this morning:

One does wonder, sometimes, what the President of the Canaries is actually thinking. Sometimes, however, it's all too clear. Thanks to his personal blog, and the comments of the Canarian Government's officer for development of autonomy Fernando Riós, it is now evident that the ruling nationalist party not only wants to restrict employment opportunities to "residents" (still to be defined, as I say below), but that they have illusions of scaling one of the sacred edifices of European immigration policy: free movement of peoples within the EU. "The Canaries are full" is the message, and the islands' RUP (ultraperipheral) status allows it. The EU seems to be in sympathy.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Janet on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 11:41
just for context, this is as of this morning:

One does wonder, sometimes, what the President of the Canaries is actually thinking. Sometimes, however, it's all too clear. Thanks to his personal blog, and the comments of the Canarian Government's officer for development of autonomy Fernando Riós, it is now evident that the ruling nationalist party not only wants to restrict employment opportunities to "residents" (still to be defined, as I say below), but that they have illusions of scaling one of the sacred edifices of European immigration policy: free movement of peoples within the EU. "The Canaries are full" is the message, and the islands' RUP (ultraperipheral) status allows it. The EU seems to be in sympathy.

Seriously? 

Don't you think though that this will amount to nothing?  These politicians couldn't legislate their way out of a paper bag.  What are they going to do - march through each and every restaurant and bar in the tourist areas demanding to see passports?  Then issue massive fines? 

You are right about the residency definition.  My neighbour has lived and worked in the Canaries for many many years, is resident and married to a local girl.  But he hails from Ibiza.  Should be be thrown out of Tenerife?  What about his kids? 

Janet

Where it will matter is in official circles ... any government jobs, civil service ... and any contracts or subcontracts given by the government or local authorities. That, really, covers a vast number of jobs ...

Guanche

I would think that if there is any impact to 'foreigner' workers the South Americans will bear the brunt. Apart from our Nova I know of only two other foreign European workers employed by the Spanish. One in a bank and one in a shop. I do however know quite a few South American workers who we have come across both in the private sector and the public sector.
I my opinion this Rivero man is just playing to the gallery, like every politician in history.

poker

Our vecino was also working for 5 years stable with the water company in Arona and the trew him out . He is Argentinian .
Now he found work in a hotel somewhere , but is sertainly earning mutch less .
As Guanche says its probably to clean the south americans here .
I can't see how they can say europeans can not work here .
Of course discrimination there was always and now it will be even wurse with the crisis ( and we havent seen anything yet . . .  ) .