News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Cafés, where the price of coffee depends on how you ask

Started by Perikles, Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Perikles

Café owners tired of rude customers are starting to charge different prices....

This link is in Spanish, but the pictures say it all.   :great:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

warbey

Someyears ago I was fortunate to  go on a Freebie to Paris Longchamps fo0r a Day at the races.

We had a short tour around Paris and called at a Cafe by Notre Dame.

We followed the usual dash in and waited our turn in the queue.

My Mate was quite intrigued how cheap our drinks were compared to the Others  We followed

I said the remark of "well done" was a hint   following  My attempt to order in decent French..

Politeness costs nowt.  :tiphat: :tiphat:

Marion

Quote from: Perikles on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:04
Café owners tired of rude customers are starting to charge different prices....

This link is in Spanish, but the pictures say it all.   :great:

Should it be "me pones" or "me pone"?
"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

- Diane Ackerman

Nova

Quote from: Marion on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 22:24
Should it be "me pones" or "me pone"?

Me pone is the formal usted conjugation, while me pones is the informal tu equivalent. In Canarias, the informal is far more widely accepted than on the peninsula, so here you'd usually use the informal to a waiter or barman unless he was very old or particularly haughty.

On the peninsula you'd never hear a bank employee addressing a customer in the informal, whereas here the formal tends to be reserved for elderly and complaining customers and all other customers get the informal as standard. It's very lax.

Edit: just looked at the pic again, and I see what you mean!!  The same sentence includes the word puedas which is informal, so there's something funky there. It must be either "cuando puedas me pones..." or "cuando pueda me pone...".
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

I think I'd just refer anyone looking for grammatical accuracy, or even logic, in signs like these to the many examples, in England, of English ...

e.g. Brussel's sprouts ...
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Marion

It looks like someone (grammar police?) had rubbed out the "s", which confused me.
"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

- Diane Ackerman