Teide access roads and crater restricted this afternoon due to Chinese president visit

Started by aspasia, Wed 20 Jun 2012, 11:31

Previous topic - Next topic

aspasia

The Chinese president, Hu Jintao, together with a team of his ministers on their way back from the G20 summit in Mexico, is stopping off in Tenerife for a brief visit this afternoon in order to meet deputy PM Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría, Industry minister José Manuel Soria, and the Canarian President Paulino Rivero. Great hopes continue for Chinese investment both on the mainland and here in the Canaries, and on 24 May Spanish and Chinese businesses signed trade and collaboration agreements worth around half a billion Euros. Today's stop-off in Tenerife will involve some talks, but will also see the Chinese VIP guests taken up Teide. Access roads and the crater itself are likely to be blocked off for security purposes between around 4 and 6pm. JA

aspasia

And I've just had a call from a friend who's on the TF82 right now near Tejina de Guía (halfway between Adeje and Guía de Isora) to say they'd been ordered into a layby by the Guardia Civil and seen the whole motorcade pass – several limos containing high-ranking Spanish politicians and, of course, the top-flight Chinese delegation. They're off up Teide as I type ... in the thickest fog we've seen here at altitude for a considerable length of time!

JA

Nova

Quote from: Janet on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 16:15
They're off up Teide as I type ... in the thickest fog we've seen here at altitude for a considerable length of time!

They'll have a good view then  :giggle:

I wonder if they'll all fit in the Teleférico car or whether they'll have to take turns....  It would be funny if the cable car broke down when they were halfway up :D
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

aspasia

El Profesor

Amazing .... The President of the Republic of China in a hotel in Las Americas (only for 10 hours). Whatever next? Barack Obama in La Gomera?
I had a class cancelled because of this. My pupil is one of the six Spaniards allowed anywhere near his powerfulness. There are 200 people with him and one hell of a lot of guns.

Suppose it beats - "I've got to take my daughter to the doctor" for cancelling a class.