News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Banca March GdS branch is relocating

Started by NAH, Thu 28 Jan 2016, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

NAH

I've just received notification that Banca March is to relocate their Golf del Sur branch to Las Galletas (Avenida Principe Felipe, 13, 38631) on 5th February due to a restructuring of their branch network in this region.

Not very convenient for us to have to jump on a bus every time we need to visit our bank, but not sure if I can manage changing all the direct debits to another bank.

I suppose I'm looking for opinions on how easy it is to change banks and all the direct debits? (Water, Electricity, Bassura, IBI, Community Fees) and would anyone be prepared to stick their neck out and recommend a bank for a non-resident account what doesn't cost the earth in fees. Also need fee free use of ATM's
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.

Perikles

It's actually dead easy - when you change banks, the whole load of direct debits can be moved almost automatically.

The only bank I would recomment is Open Bank. This is an on-line one run by Santander, and there are NO BANK CHARGES. Dead easy to use, and even though it's only in Spanish, the on-line banking is a doddle. Having said all that, I'm not sure about non-residence. I can enquire if you like. There's a lot of farting about with paperwork to set it up, but there would be with any bank.
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Nova

There's already a Banca March right there in Las Galletas, always has been.  So they're just merging.  Even with Santander you'd have to trek into Las Chafiras and pay fees - since there is now no way for a non-res to avoid fees.  So you'd just end up doing everything online anyway.  In your position an online bank with no fees would sound rather tempting.  Though of course I have to be on the record as saying come to us......  :whistle:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Shit - I've checked up with Openbank and the wankers require you to be resident. They are not as wanky as other banks but still wankers
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

NAH

Thanks @Perikles It was mainly changing the direct debits which filled me with trepidation. I have heard the virtues of open Bank mentioned on here several times before.

To be honest we only go to the bank to pay our non-res tax and to collect replacement debit cards. Silly question maybe but if Open Bank have no branches where do you collect replacement debit cards from when they expire...or indeed your first debit cards? Is the paperwork all done through the post or is it necessary to go to a branch of Santander to complete said form to open an account?

I have checked out their website and it actually says 'any individual resident in Spain and of age' can open an account, this does imply that perhaps they do not entertain non-residentes?

@Nova when you say there is no way for a non-res to avoid fees, do you mean with Santander or at all? I appreciate you selling me the benefits of Santander and you must appreciate that I have a choice :)

[edit] Cross posted, Thanks Perikles. That removes them as an option for the immediate future then. Looks like I'll be stuck with one of the other 'high street' banks[/edit]

NAH

Quote from: Nova on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 18:43
There's already a Banca March right there in Las Galletas, always has been.  So they're just merging.

Thanks, so in effect it appears that they are simply closing the GdS branch. I thought they were always too pleasant and helpful in there, that's how they get rewarded.

Perikles

Everything was done via the post to Madrid, and cards came back to us via the post. Absolutely no need to have personal contact with any person in any bank, which is worth a great deal (forum administrators excepted).

Cash can be withdrawn from any machine, and is free for Santander machines. The only snag with this kind of account is that you can't withdraw an amount of cash greater than what the machine will provide. You can pày cheques in by using Santander banks, which is great, because they hate it, and it really pisses the cashier off, so that's a bonus. You have to be really friendly and smiley and thank them a lot, and you can see they hate you. Brilliant.  :great:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum

NAH

Quote from: Perikles on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 20:09
Everything was done via the post to Madrid, and cards came back to us via the post. Absolutely no need to have personal contact with any person in any bank, which is worth a great deal (forum administrators excepted).

Cash can be withdrawn from any machine, and is free for Santander machines. The only snag with this kind of account is that you can't withdraw an amount of cash greater than what the machine will provide. You can pày cheques in by using Santander banks, which is great, because they hate it, and it really pisses the cashier off, so that's a bonus. You have to be really friendly and smiley and thank them a lot, and you can see they hate you. Brilliant.  :great:

It all sounds perfect except I'm non-res, damn !

Nova

Quote from: Perikles on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 20:09
The only snag with this kind of account is that you can't withdraw an amount of cash greater than what the machine will provide. You can pày cheques in by using Santander banks, which is great, because they hate it, and it really pisses the cashier off, so that's a bonus. You have to be really friendly and smiley and thank them a lot, and you can see they hate you. Brilliant.  :great:

You can withdraw up to €3,000 in cash at any time by cashing one of your own cheques at any Santander cash desk.  We will really hate you for that though because we have to phone Openbank to get an authorisation code to do it  :D

LOL, I personally love Openbank customers.  They just come in, do what they have to do and go.  No stupid questions and no fannying about.

@NAH I've only been forced to learn the conditions of the new residents-only bank accounts that we're plugging, but IIRC non-residents pay about 24 euros every 6 months in maintenance charges, 28 euros per year for the debit card, plus fees for every transfer (minimum €6 in the branch and €2 if you do it yourself online), cheque deposit, etc.  I don't know a single thing about any other banks except they're all crap  :D
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

One thing about banks is that any operation which involves going into a branch and talking to a person is an absolute waste of time. Lots of banks have on-line facilities to help you avoid this degrading experience. We have an account with Banco Popular which has an on-line facility, and we have to visit their shithole branch about once a year. I suspect that most banks these days have something similar. They are all thieving nasty ignorant fuckwits, so it really doesn't matter which one you choose.
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum