“The best climate in the world” underpins the new up-market tourism strategy for 2012-2016

Started by aspasia, Tue 12 Jun 2012, 15:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

Is that a crack about me missing the hyphen out of "noone"?  That's deliberate, I think the hyphen there is stupid  :tiphat:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Sabrinova on Tue  3 Jul 2012, 18:59
Is that a crack about me missing the hyphen out of "noone"?  That's deliberate, I think the hyphen there is stupid  :tiphat:

If you don't like the hyphen, then you should use two words.

NOONE IS NEVER RIGHT

Nobody and nowhere have become single words. However, 'no one' has not.  Noone is wrong. 

That was on the internet, so it must be correct.

:P

Nova

Nope, refuse to do that either.  If "nobody" is one word then "noone" should be too.  It's logical.  Enough stupid spellings and Americanisms have been accepted into the English dictionary that there is no reason why a sensible word like "noone" should be excluded, and I'm on a one-woman campaign to try and make it happen  :P

While we're on the subject, why the hell isn't "mither" is the dictionary?  :poke:

Err... Janet, do you want to split this thread?  :D

—————

Phil

For what shall it profit a man, to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Perikles

Quote from: Sabrinova on Tue  3 Jul 2012, 19:13
Nope, refuse to do that either.  If "nobody" is one word then "noone" should be too.  It's logical. 
Don't be silly, it is not remotely logical, given that the -oo- is a standard long vowel in English.

Nova

Quote from: Perikles on Tue  3 Jul 2012, 20:46
Don't be silly, it is not remotely logical, given that the -oo- is a standard long vowel in English.

Well, if that's your best argument then "nobody" should have a hyphen also, to avoid it being pronounced "knob-odey"  ;)

—————

Janet

As a clear example of what's in the minds of the politicians when they talk about "up-market tourism strategy", have a look at this 30-second advert video, focusing on Guía de Isora. While you're watching it, remember what the Government wants to stress: spas and golf, retirees, special interest holidays like golf and cycling, eco-tourism ... . This is what they're after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdOKp477PFM&feature=player_embedded

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I didn't see a single tattooed chav with badly died hair pushing a kid in a pushchair down the street while smoking and yelling drunken obscenities at their equally tattooed significant other without a shirt but with a gigantic white beer belly.   Or any retirees wearing a baseball cap and bum bag pissed out of their brains from spending all day in a Brit bar drinking cheap bear stumbling toward their lodgings.  Nary a woman with half her saggy tits hanging out of bikini top 5 sizes too small.  I did not even see a straitlaced German couple wondering what it was all about. 

What a warm cosy view of tourism this is!

:beach:

Nova

I didn't see any kids either  :undecided:  On that basis I think it's a great idea  :toothygrin:

Has anybody any idea why adverts of this type, and this one especially, focus on loved-up couples?  Are they the only segment of society that they think want nice holidays or just the only segment Guia de Isora wants to attract?  :undecided:

—————