The fountain in Adeje

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Tue 26 May 2015, 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Lately I have been teaching my students some intensifiers used with asking questions.

So, for example, we can use "on earth" or "in the world" to politely express disbelief or surprise and intensify questions.  What on earth is that?  Who in the world is he?  How on earth did you get here?  And so on.

In Spanish you can use "demonio" or "diablo" in a similar fashion, which lead us to "the devil" and "the hell".  How the devil are you?  Why the hell did you do that?  Where the hell is she?  And so on.  These have been labelled as informal usage.  Do not use with your grandmother or the Queen.

We have not got to "the fuck" and I am not certain we will.  What the fuck were they thinking?  Why the fuck did they do that?  How the fuck much did it cost?  Who the fuck's brilliant idea was that? 

Those questions come to mind having now seen the fountain in Adeje which they were working on last week.  On Thursday they appeared to be putting white Greek-style statues in the fountain.  Right.  Well, this morning, there are about 6 Greek statues arranged in semi-classic Greek style.  So I asked myself the above questions and perhaps you have too.

Any idea what the fuck is going on?

Janet

saw them doing it the other day and thought exactly that ... WTF ? ... :D

:confused:

edit: just a thought ... Canarian Day coming up in four days time. Celebration of "democracy"??

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

But Greek statues?  Why not some Spanish heroes?

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Tue 26 May 2015, 13:19
But Greek statues?  Why not some Spanish heroes?

Because there aren't half a dozen?

Janet

because Spanish heroes aren't democratic ... ?? ...  :-X

gag me then, Rajoy ... :P

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Now that this thread has picture goodness, over to the experts in ancient civilisations for comment.

[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]

Janet

are they all female? are we looking at the muses? washing in the fountain instead of the sacred Mt Helicon spring before honouring the gods with their cultural arts ... ?? are there 9? I can only clearly identify 8 ...  :017:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I think there are 8 and that they are all female.

Janet

then the muses would be my guess ... with one on a tea break ... but I wouldn't be able to say why ...

I'm going to ask Clio ...

Janet

Quote from: Janet on Thu 28 May 2015, 15:33
I'm going to ask Clio ...

... who says she'll look into it and let me know tomorrow if she can find out ...