Name this bird

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Sun 15 Mar 2015, 19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

We have always believed the bird below is a grouse.  The problem is, it is not in my bird book or other reference material.  What do you think it is?

I should mention that every single other time I have ever come across these birds they take flight screaming in any direction away from us.  This one just hopped around and did not seem to mind us or the dogs.

[attachimg=1]

Janet

It looks like a guinea fowl to me ...

Perikles

I think it is a species of partridge. I'm going to sent the photo to my brother, a hexpert.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Definitely not a guinea fowl.  A Canarian friend insists it is a grouse, and I have asked him which kind.  Be interesting to see what P's brother says.

Michael

I'll run it by a wildlife guru/eco warrior friend of mine.
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

El Profesor

How about Mr Peck?

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Barbary partridge, apparently.

Perikles

Here's the reply from my brother:

It's a Partridge of sorts, either Rock or Red-legged, bit hard to tell from the angle, or at all since the two species are very similar

Given that it's on a Rock we can go with that name until I research ranges etc.

BTW I've never ticked off Rock Partridge, not very common in Europe

Edit: He says he had wondered about that one, but didn't have his bird book with him. Meanwhile I looked at google images for barbary partridge, and found this one:

[attachimg=1]

Perikles

Another communication from him:

Having looked at some google images I would go with Barbary, seems to have that pronounced head stripe which is so clear on your pic, plus the brown speckled 'necklace'

It's a bit early in the morning for serious research