Inmobiliarias/Estate Agents

Started by Guanche, Sun 25 Jan 2015, 15:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Guanche

Has anyone ever had any dealings with estate agents on the island? The wife got one last week much against my protest. The thing is they want 5% which I find outrageous for putting a few photos in a shop window, which at the end of the day is all they do. Plus we have had to increase the price of the house to accommodate their bill, which puts us back to where we were a year ago price wise.
Now I know 5% is the going rate and there is nothing to be done about that.... except not employ one, and advertise on the net and a 'For Sale' sign on the side of the house. So has anyone had any experience of them good or bad? I have another 8 days to cancel the contract which I want to do but I have to convince the wife.

Janet

What contract? The main thing will be to avoid tying yourself into one agent :unsure:

Perikles

Quote from: Pelinor on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 15:28
Has anyone ever had any dealings with estate agents on the island?

You need to find somebody who used to be an estate agent but now runs a website giving loads of informed advice about selling property in Tenerife. If I think of one, I'll let you know.  :whistle: :whistle:

Guanche

Quote from: Janet on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 15:45
What contract? The main thing will be to avoid tying yourself into one agent :unsure:

That's exactly what happened Janet. the wife signed us up for a four month contract. Anyone comes to view the house must be directed to them! I don't like it one bit. I don't mind paying but I hate being screwed. We have it on Idealista at the moment and have had a couple of views. The rest, about 15 have all knocked of the door after seeing the 'For Sale' sign. Sadly no sale as yet.

Guanche

Quote from: Perikles on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 15:51
You need to find somebody who used to be an estate agent but now runs a website giving loads of informed advice about selling property in Tenerife. If I think of one, I'll let you know.  :whistle: :whistle:

I will expect a PM then? :D

Janet

Quote from: Pelinor on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 16:07
That's exactly what happened Janet. the wife signed us up for a four month contract. Anyone comes to view the house must be directed to them! I don't like it one bit. I don't mind paying but I hate being screwed. We have it on Idealista at the moment and have had a couple of views. The rest, about 15 have all knocked of the door after seeing the 'For Sale' sign. Sadly no sale as yet.

So according to the contract if an old friend visits and you mention you're selling, you have to send them via the agency? That is an absurd, and frankly abusive and unusual contract which I wouldn't sign ... there are tons of agents out there, and their commission is bad enough, being tied into a ridiculous contract like this - unless they can give an effective guarantee of a buyer - is just plain unacceptable. If you are using an estate agent it's because you want to sell. To sell, you need to be with as many agents as possible. There are some in the south, for example, that I could recommend but whom this contract would prevent you even contacting.

Guanche

Yes Janet exactly.  We did have it with one a while back but he went out of business. But there was no contract, the game was he would turn up with a client, if they bought the house he got his % if not he got nothing and we were still free to sell it ourselves. That sounds what your talking about Janet.
I've just told the wife what you have said and it looks like I will get my own way as she said she is going to cancell it tomorrow.  And we'll take it from there.

Janet

Quote from: Pelinor on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 16:28there was no contract, the game was he would turn up with a client, if they bought the house he got his % if not he got nothing and we were still free to sell it ourselves. That sounds what your talking about Janet.

Yes, exactly, and that should be entirely normal. It IS entirely normal!

Quote from: Pelinor on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 16:28I've just told the wife what you have said and it looks like I will get my own way as she said she is going to cancell it tomorrow.  And we'll take it from there.

Good!  :tiphat:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Stick to your guns P, they can be very slippery customers.

Michael

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 17:09
Stick to your guns P, they can be very slippery customers.

Estate agents or wives?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: