News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Skip-diving

Started by Nova, Tue 2 Dec 2014, 20:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Thu  4 Dec 2014, 11:47Wonder what the other boys will say!

I am gobsmacked that somebody might think this a problem. I always avoid throwing anything away with bank info, and I have never put anything in the rubbish which might incriminate/embarrass me, and even if I have, I couldn't care less what some weirdo with a helmet lamp discovers about me. What's he (or she?) going to do? Blackmail me because I have used some cream for some disgusting personal ailment?

As for identity fraud, the name is writ large at the front of the house, so why rummaging through rubbish to find an address might be a risk, I can't imagine.

Guanche

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Thu  4 Dec 2014, 11:58
There is an assumption of privacy and anonymity when disposing of things. Nova and I feel it is a violation of said privacy for someone to go through bins and bags, and when coupled with the loss of anonymity it is worse.  Neither of us is naive and we both know that you need to take measures not to let sensitive and identifying things go into the bin, nevertheless, feel what the guy was doing crosses the line of civility.

Nova and I have not consulted or collaborated on this post so she will post if she feels differently!

I am the complete opposite Myrtle. I assume that someone will go through my rubbish, either for recycling, skip diving for profit or just plain nosey! Thats why I remove all sensitive documentation from the rubbish. I think in some countries once you have placed rubbish out on the street to be removed you lose ownership and any right to privacy.  I think in some parts of Spain they go through every bag of rubbish in recycling plants, but I could be confusing this with another country?

Michael

Quote from: Pelinor on Thu  4 Dec 2014, 11:41
Would I be embarrassed by my rubbish, or more importantly what it contained. In a word 'No' not at all. If they want to root round the small white plastic bags that we use in the toilet feel free, knock your self out! I would say 99% of our rubbish is kitchen waste, mainly card board packaging. Once it goes into the bin its forgotten about. Any important documentation I want to get rid of are burnt on the BBQ.

Even with the two examples you give Janet I wouldn't bat an eye lid. In the rubbish and off it goes. If some sad man wants to sort through it, as I've said, feel free.

Yep. I'd be exactly the same.

In fact, if I knew someone was rummaging about in my rubbish, i'd go out of my way to put something in there to get a reaction. Maybe an old 'Randy Raquel' inflatable doll or an inflatable sheep box.

Perhaps print out a 'how to cure Ebola' factsheet from the interweb?

You get the idea.  :giggle:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

The varying attitudes towards rubbish are most interesting!  And I love Michael's ideas.  I too would put them into practice if there were a guy going through my rubbish.

I will just add that for me, it is the proximity which disturbs me.  A guy who is right outside my door watching me put out my rubbish would give me the creeps.  I don't care what happens at the rubbish dump.

Nova

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Thu  4 Dec 2014, 11:58
Nova and I have not consulted or collaborated on this post so she will post if she feels differently!

We need a "hitting the nail on the head" smiley  :great:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

so the answer is based on whether one feels one retains privacy rights over one's rubbish ... wonder why some do and some don't ...

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Nova on Thu  4 Dec 2014, 20:20
We need a "hitting the nail on the head" smiley  :great:

Good grief, we don't have one?  Have you looked?  He he he he