News:

We are back!!  Please see my post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Fibre-optic connections at last in South Tenerife

Started by Janet, Wed 8 Oct 2014, 16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Delderek

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Thu  9 Oct 2014, 14:38
Rereading this thread I realised I should have commented on this last night.  I am not sure it is called VDSL here as we upgraded from ADSL to VDSL some months back.  We get 30Mb down and 1Mb up, better than ADSL but not up to fibre speeds.  We are fortunately only about 50m from the cabinet.

That is definitely Fibre. (FTTC) 30mb service is the entry level in the UK as well.
VDSL only refers to the method of moving data through the copper cables. Not the fibre section.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Interestingly I looked at Movistar's site and they no longer offer VDSL.  I checked to see if we could get fibre where we are and there are no plans, so I registered my interest like Dorada did.

Nova

My colleague who lives in Los Cristianos has fibre optic internet!!!  Does anybody know anything about this??  He said Movistar told him it wasn't available when he asked but as per Movistar's usual procedure, when he said "but one of my neighbours has it" and gave them the neighbour's telephone number, Movistar said "oh yes" and now he has it!  Fibre optic - in Los Cristianos!!!!
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Delderek

It is a very confusing subject, with different terms used in different countries.
What is called VDSL in Tenerife is called FTTC ( Fibre to the Cabinet) in the UK. Basically it means fibre is available in the nearest junction box to your premises, the last 500/800 yds is still piped via your existing copper cables. This is the main system available in the UK, and speeds of around 40/45mb is achievable, but normally around 35mb in your premises. The other system is FTTH which means Fibre to the house, which involves laying a fibre cable from the junction box directly into your premises. So if you are achieving speeds in your premises in excess of 28mb, you are probably already using part of the fibre network. To increase this to full fibre becomes very expensive. Beyond the 800yds quoted above, the speed drop off is dramatic. So if you are near a junction box you will get 35mb, above 1000yds hard luck.

Just for comparison. I will be going fibre in one week (FTTC) speed up to 40mbs, it will cost me pds 7.50 per month, no installation fee. To go FTTH (called superfast) up to 85mbs,, would cost pds 75.00 installation, and pds 40.00 per month.

Perikles

Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Nova

My colleague said he had "fibra óptica".  I shall ask him to do a speed test.

I just have ADSL and here in Palm Mar I generally get a crap speed reminiscent of my old dial-up service  ::)

—————

Delderek

Your 6.78mbs is around the UK average, so you are reasonably lucky. Many people in Callao are still struggling with under 1mb. There are people in Palm Mar getting 30mb.

Janet

your crap 6+ is better than our 4! :scowl:

... and our 4 is light years better than our dial-up/modem ever was ....  :great:
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Perikles

Quote from: Delderek on Thu 27 Aug 2015, 19:34Many people in Callao are still struggling with ....

... alcoholism, drugs, cockroaches, language, flies, dogshit...  :great:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Nova

Quote from: Janet on Thu 27 Aug 2015, 19:36
your crap 6+ is better than our 4! :scowl:

... and our 4 is light years better than our dial-up/modem ever was ....  :great:

I think it's having a good day!  At the weekend I can measure around 3MB...

I shall run another test on Sunday  :tiphat:

—————