Summer temperatures forecast from Thursday

Started by aspasia, Tue 8 May 2012, 10:17

Previous topic - Next topic

aspasia

The Canarian Government has issued its general advice for public health during calimas and heatwaves, as above. The public is advised to keep doors and windows closed, and for those with respiratory illnesses to stay indoors; to be sure to take any habitual medication; to drink a lot of liquid and avoid dry environments; not to do any hard physical exercise; and to go to the doctor if there is any suspicion of feeling unwell. Finally, since visibility is often considerably reduced, to drive with extreme care, with lights on and reduced speed. JA

aspasia

Aemet has increased the alert level to orange for Tenerife and all islands in the eastern province. The alert level, which represents temperatures up to 37º, at present lasts until 7pm this evening, when yellow is re-established for Tenerife, though the eastern province remains on orange through tomorrow, Monday. As things stand at the moment, the yellow alert for Tenerife and the western provinces is lifted for Tuesday, when the eastern province reduces from orange to yellow alert.

aspasia

A hiker has died and another seven have been affected, one seriously, in Gran Canaria's Mogán municipality as a result of the heatwave. The group was walking in the barranco de San Andrés when they were overcome by the heat just after midday. Emergency services, including a search and rescue helicopter, attended the scene, but could do nothing for the man who died, and confirmed his death at the scene. A woman in the group was treated for respiratory problems and was taken by helicopter in serious condition to Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Doctor Negrín. The others affected received assistance at the scene. JA

Nova

That is scary!  Christopher, don't you ever go walking in a coloured alert again   :poke:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

El Profesor

Quote from: Sabrinova on Sun 13 May 2012, 17:56
That is scary!  Christopher, don't you ever go walking in a coloured alert again   :poke:
There was once a little boy who was sent up the hill to look after the sheep, he got a bit bored and being a mischievous young lad, thought he would have a laugh at the villagers' expense ...... so he issued a yellow alert every 10 minutes for absolutely no reason at all.
After a while the villagers were fed up with running up the hill for nothing ..... every time the little boy issued a yellow alert, so they started to ignore him ... then a big wolf came and ate all the sheep.

Nobody would ever do anything if they paid the slightest bit of attention to all the alerts these people issue ... for nothing.

Phil

Fair enough, yellow alerts do seem to come and go with regularity but the heat where I am even at 7.00 this morning was out of the ordinary and the afternoon was just intense.  :dazed:

For what shall it profit a man, to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

aspasia

I sort of agree ... but I also disagree. The alerts for rain and wind are often overplayed, and I try to downplay them. The alerts for heat, however, are directly related to temperatures, so yellow is up to 34º, orange up to 37º, etc, so they should be taken seriously, in my opinion.

Christopher, please don't walk in such heat.  :)

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

aspasia

There are more details and a correction about this walking party.

The person who died was a 78-year-old British woman.

Another English woman of 66 was resuscitated from a heart attack and transferred in critical condition by helicopter to Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Doctor Negrín.

A 65-year-old English woman with breathing difficulties was transferred in critical condition by helicopter to Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Doctor Negrín.

A 61-year-old woman, and three men of 64, 65 and 69, all English, suffered minor difficulties due to the heat and were attended at the scene.  JA