Arona to cull bird pest population

Started by Janet, Fri 25 Jul 2014, 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Arona Ayuntamiento has announced that it is going to issue a contract for a private company to cull bird pests throughout the municipality. The initial contract will be for a year, but the council will extend if necessary until it is clear that the control has been effective. Environment councillor Antonio Sosa said that the measures were necessary because of the increase in population numbers of pigeons, doves and other street species, which represented a threat to public health since such birds are known to transmit diseases including salmonellosis, pulmonary alveolitis, and chlamydia, quite apart from any damage and economic losses they caused, and the bad image they gave visitors.

The council said that the areas which will be treated as a priority will be gardens, pathways, pedestrian walkways, public parks and the areas around schools in Los Cristianos, Arona casco, La Camella, Valle San Lorenzo, Buzanada, Cabo Blanco, Guaza, Las Galletas, El Fraile, Costa del Silencio and Playa de Las Amércias, as well as in any particular points that might become evident as affected.

There is no information as to how these culls are going to be carried out, but it doesn't take a great deal of imagination. Councils in Tenerife are not renowned for excessiveness of care when treating with chemicals, and many pets and strays have been affected by careless poisonings in public spaces. I would expect this problem to increase in Arona over the next year. Be careful with animals ... JA

Nova

I can think of more effective ways for them to be spending money  :gonnagetit:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 14:12The initial contract will be for a year, but the council will extend if necessary until it is clear that the control has been effective.

Super incentive for the company to be totally useless, of course.  :whistle: