News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Spanish Highway Code

Started by Janet, Wed 23 Jul 2014, 18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

There are always heated discussions, arguments and debates about Spanish traffic law, and driving skills, and whether they have the first idea of what Tenerife's roads are like or whether anyone who wrote the law ever tried to get around Los Cristianos roundabout ... but there is a Spanish "Highway Code". I've added the link to the links page,  but it can be downloaded HERE as a pdf file or in an e-pub version, or bought in a paper version from the same government link.  JA
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Michael

Quote from: Janet on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 18:46
There are always heated discussions, arguments and debates about Spanish traffic law, and driving skills, and whether they have the first idea of what Tenerife's roads are like or whether anyone who wrote the law ever tried to get around Los Cristianos roundabout ... but there is a Spanish "Highway Code". I've added the link to the links page,  but it can be downloaded HERE as a pdf file or in an e-pub version, or bought in a paper version from the same government link.  JA

I can't say i've ever witnessed any.  :whistle:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

NAH

Too much to ask if there's a version translated into English I expect?
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.

Janet

not aware of one, no ...

just out of interest, in the UK, is the Highway Code available in different languages??

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 23:33
just out of interest, in the UK, is the Highway Code available in different languages??

Urdu  :tiphat:  :giggle:

and of course, Rheolau'r Ffordd Fawr
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Janet

OK  ::)

Thing is, the law is going to be available in any of Spain's national languages, but there's not the fashion here to provide it multilingually in case someone needs to read it in Swahili. I'm surprised if the Highway Code in the UK is only available in English, Welsh and Urdu!

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:06I'm surprised if the Highway Code in the UK is only available in English, Welsh and Urdu!

Environment Minister Alex Attwood today officially launched an online Irish language version of the Highway Code.
~ Monday, 24 September 2012

This latest translation joins a list of five alternative languages available online including Lithuanian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese and Russian.

I just refuse to believe that there is anybody in NI who would rather have the thing in Gaelic. Just another regional waste of resources like language issues in Wales   :gonnagetit:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Michael

Quote from: Periklēs on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:55
I just refuse to believe that there is anybody in NI who would rather have the thing in Gaelic. Just another regional waste of resources like language issues in Wales   :gonnagetit:

Believe it. There must be thousands of them.

Although Gaelic is on the up here on both sides of the community, as far as i'm aware, there is no-one in the North for whom Gaelic is their first language.

Republicans, on the other hand, will go for anything that makes them seem more Irish and less British.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Perikles

Quote from: Michael on Thu 24 Jul 2014, 13:29Republicans, on the other hand, will go for anything that makes them seem more Irish and less British. 

There's that stupid joke about the republican wanting to be more Irish - a surgeon offered to remove half his brain to achieve this, so he agreed. He woke up after the op to hear the surgeon tell him they had removed three quarters by mistake. The republican just laughed and said "Diolch, Da iawn Boyo"
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum