News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

How to meet somebody in Tenerife

Started by Nova, Mon 30 Jun 2014, 00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

Yup, this is personal....  I've decided it's time to stop being negative about how difficult it is to meet somebody for a relationship in Tenerife and try to actually find somebody.  The trouble is I don't know where to start so I'm hoping you wonderful ChalkCat people might have some suggestions :D

Bear in mind that I'm a stay-home hermit with Asperger's who feels very uncomfortable with strangers, groups of people, lots of noise, etc, so the usual meeting places of bars and nightclubs are a no-go, mainly because the kind of guy who enjoys going to those types of places would find me a total bore.

Anywhere else in the world evening classes and the like are a good way to meet people with similar interests, but in my experience of evening classes in Tenerife, the limited few there are are mostly attended by the unemployed taking advantage of government subsidies.

Which leaves the internet, which while not to be ruled out and may be the best way for a geek like me to meet a kindred spirit, it's a bit, well,.... :shrug:

So have you any ideas where somebody like me might meet a suitable man on this island??
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

El Profesor

Quote from: Nova on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 00:51
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Anywhere else in the world evening classes and the like are a good way to meet people with similar interests, but in my experience of evening classes in Tenerife, the limited few there are are mostly attended by the unemployed taking advantage of government subsidies.

. . . . . . . . . .

No, the Centro Cultural in Los Cristianos has a wealth of subsidised courses ranging through ballroom dancing, digital photography, oil painting, etc. I think the trick is to find something you can really get into and just get on with it. Then suddenly you are surrounded by friends and colleagues.
Inscriptions open now for September. That place is a jewel to be treasured in our crusty desert.

poker

Difficult as we aspies know :)).

I would not really know where to send you or help you on youre way . . . ?
It took me years also . :))

I met my wife via a chat site on the internet ( no not a date site as some think . . . ) .
We were getting along good , wrighting alot to eatchother, and met after 4 months ( wel she was living in south Russia and me in Belgium at the time ) And after another 4 we were married .
Still bouth happy and with 2 kids now after 12+ years married .

All i can say it has to feel right and there has to be a click . If you find someone it has to click really to my thought .
Oh look around and enjouy but , dont force it . It has to come naturaly . . . 

Hope you find tru love ... . . .

Michael

Quote from: Nova on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 00:51

Which leaves the internet, which while not to be ruled out and may be the best way for a geek like me to meet a kindred spirit, it's a bit, well,.... :shrug:

10 years ago maybe but now no-one bats an eyelid.

That's how my son met my daughter-in-law.

Me and Chandra started off as penpals. 35 years later................  :)

Just sayin'.
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Perikles

The problem with how our society operates is that almost all personal contact comes from specific sources: Work; Religion; Sport; Hobbies.

If one works with a complete bunch of tossers, is an atheist, and useless at sport, the options are limited, especially when shy and awkward and in a foreign country. When young and "working", I was definitely in this category, and I really regret not having the courage to go out and join the local choir. In the end, I started having piano lessons, but the piano is the least sociable instrument there is, apart from bagpipes. But it started a social ball rolling (in the wrong direction, as it turned out  :D).

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I'll second what Prof has to say.  Also, do not overlook courses offered at the Adeje cultural centre, of which there are many.  The ULL does a number of courses there also.

(I won't recommend the Advanced Spanish there because it is likely to be full of Italian grannies; nice people but not what you are looking for.) 

Do bear in mind that anybody embarking on such an adventure is likely to be a bit uncomfortable; you don't have to have Asperger's to feel anxious and you may simply have to push yourself into something while not taking any backchat from yourself. 

If you want to get fit as well as meet fit men, I'd suggest joining a running club.  They usually welcome new members and want to help them learn to run. 

What about interests outside of Perikles' big 4 - something like a cause (prevention of drilling in Canaries?) or a charity (dog or cat rescue)? 

Then there is the networking thing:  anybody on this thread can actively bear in mind you are looking to meet someone compatible.  They may already know somebody suitable but just never put two and two together before.  So we can all keep an eye out among the people we know and meet. 

Delderek

Damn it, I wont be out for a few months!! :banghead:

Guanche

I have to ask Nova, but is nationality a problem?

Nova

I can't help but think that English-speaking would be ideal, since I find it difficult enough to express myself anyway, but since I'm living in Spain and speak Spanish it would be silly to add artificial restrictions.  As long as communication is possible, shared values are a more important starting point.

Thank you all for your input so far!  Lots to think about....
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Guanche

What about the university at La Laguna? OK I'm guessing but do they have courses?  It may be a bit far to travel though?