Wild seas, red flags, official warnings, and still people go in the water

Started by Janet, Sun 1 Jun 2014, 20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

What does it take? The seas are wild today, and they will be wild tomorrow. Red flags are flying on the beaches in the west, south and east of the island. Unless they are forecasting spectacularly wild seas, I normally don't post alerts for "costeros" because common sense normally prevails, but today there has been a drowning in Playa Paraiso and an incident off the Arona coast around 5.30 this afternoon where three men between 30 and 46 are in hospital after being rescued with minor injurires caused by their small boat being dashed against rocks.

Yet again emergency services had to take risks, helicopters had to be scrambled, and peoples' lives were endangered in seas that common sense might have been expected to dictate should be left well alone. Red flags mean "don't go in the water". Aropol has now issued an official request for people to obey the official warnings not just from the Met Office but from the police as well. As always, emergency rescues required for survivors of incidents that they should not have been involved in in are likely to be charged. JA

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Michael

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Michael

Video posted to Facebook if someone could do the honours?
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Nova

Facebook videos have stopped embedding but here's the link  :tiphat:

Wow, Michael, that's a wild sea!  I think people forget this isn't the Mediterranean  ::)

Edit:  I think you need to change the share settings to Public so everyone can see it as it seems to be set to just your friends...

—————

Michael

Nova

I'm guessing you're using the FB iPhone app?  Above the video on your wall where it says "Michael posted a video", to the right of that there is what looks like a faint grey dot. When you touch that you should get this:

[attachimg=1]

Go to Edit Privacy and choose Public.

—————

Michael

Nova

—————

Michael

That reminds me, while I was sitting marveling at the waves on Las Vistas, I noticed 5 or 6 kids in the water playing in the surf.

Every now and again a big one would come in, lift them off their feet and they'd disappear for a few seconds only to reappear when the wave subsided.

It wouldn't have taken much for one to be sucked out of his depth never to be seen again.

I don't know where the parents were.

I think the old saying 'you need a license to have a dog but any moron can have a child' applies.  ::)