Has Trafico been to the UK for lessons in road safety?

Started by Guanche, Mon 28 Apr 2014, 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Guanche

Now normally I wouldn't post anything like this as, for me, its tantamount to perverting the course of justice. But as I'm sure no one on this forum is a 'boy racer' and we all only drive within the law I think I'm safe. It also made me laugh!

There I am driving into Santa Cruz this morning at my usual leisurely 85kpm along TF1 Just as I passed the junction for Las Calteillas I noticed a new speed restriction sign, from 120 down to 100. The thing is, the placement of the sign can only have been put there by British Highways as it was 10 meters in front of and completely hiding the speed camera just behind it! It couldn't have been put in a better place if one tried. Now there is no possible chance of seeing the camera until its tooooooooooooooooooooooooo late! Talk about a cynical placement!! As I say it made me laugh.

You have been warned.

Michael

I've never understood the British logic in making hi-viz speed cameras.

Sod deterrence! I want to catch the feckers.

I watched a programme about them once. I think it was Holland where they had them hidden in wheelie bins.  :rofl:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Guanche

I have to agree Michael, sneaky is best :great: I have never understood the 'Boy Racer, petrol head, DM keyboard warrior, Its my God given right to drive as fast as I want when I want and I don't expect to be held accountable, I break the law but don't think I should be punished and when I'm caught I'm OUTRAGED types'
I have always found it quite simple. If you don't want to pay fines and you don't want points, don't speed. Its not rocket science is it? :undecided:

Nova

Agreed, except that it's damned frustrating when speed limits don't make sense. Specifically I'm thinking of the country lane leading to my parents' village from the direction of the motorway. It's now 30mph from the first cottage, through the village to the pub at the end, even though there are no houses for a large section of it, good visibility, footpaths and until recently it was a combination of 40 and national speed limit. Compare with the road through Cranage, lined both sides with expensive homes with concealed entrances and often concealed homes, no footpaths and no bloody speed limit all the way along!  It's hairy trying to turn out of driveways along that stretch because everybody drives at full pelt. Logic?
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I thought the thing about the yellow cameras was the assumption that people would see them and would automatically slow down.  So that besides giving the basis for tickets they actually reduced speeding. 

Guanche

Agreed Nova, I don't begin to understand the reasoning behind some speed limits, both fast and slow. For example I think the 70 mph limit on motorways is much to slow. But I think some of the limits, and probably the ones we find frustrating, are down to 'Green issues' and the EU forcing ever lower limits to reduce pollution.

Michael

Quote from: Pelinor on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 22:07
Agreed Nova, I don't begin to understand the reasoning behind some speed limits, both fast and slow. For example I think the 70 mph limit on motorways is much to slow. But I think some of the limits, and probably the ones we find frustrating, are down to 'Green issues' and the EU forcing ever lower limits to reduce pollution.

Grrrrrrr!  :banghead:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: