News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Public asked to help as over €100,000 of cable stolen in Adeje municipality in just a fortnight

Started by Janet, Tue 22 Apr 2014, 16:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Adeje Ayuntamiento has published details of a series of robberies in the last two weeks in the municipality that has seen over €100,000 worth of cable stolen, the department of works and services says. This is an appalling average of €6,600 per day, and councillor Gonzalo Delgado Díaz, has asked the public to be vigilant and help. As he  says, these thefts are difficult to police, and so the council is "asking neighbours and residents who see any suspicious activity by people near or at street installations to please phone the local police on 922 747 206 or 112."

The Ayuntamiento reminds the public that anyone who is officially authorised to handle this cable and open street boxes etc will be wearing distinctive red uniforms with a council logo, so if you see anyone not wearing this uniform behaving suspiciously, please do call the numbers above. The particularly affected areas are Fañabé, Callao Salvaje, Tijoco, La Hoya, Los Olivos, Las Torres, Armeñime and El Galeón, but as the council says, "this is a borough-wide problem, and in some cases cable has been stolen twice from the same location. We will obviously step up the police presence in zones that are considered vulnerable, but we need your help".

It's worth remembering that this kind of theft does have direct repercussions on council budgets and replacing the missing cable would require monies to be found from other council projects. As the council says, if these thefts continue they will cause serious budgeting problems. Not only this, but Councillor Delgado Díaz added that these kind of crimes were also potentially dangerous to passers-by and children along affected pavements as it could increase the risk of injury as in many cases, "the cable that has been stolen is the 'earth' cable which protects from electrocution".  Two very good reasons why we are all being asked to keep an eye open for suspicious or criminal activity. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Something tells me this crime is organised.  Possibly the culprits are dressed in the correct uniforms.  Amazing how the criminals know right where to go to remove the cables too. 

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Tue 22 Apr 2014, 16:18Adeje Ayuntamiento has published details of a series of robberies in the last two weeks in the municipality that has seen over €100,000 worth of cable stolen,

A cynic might say that this is what is costs the ayuntamiento to buy the cable, via their supplier who is the brother-in-law of the chief municipality electrician. The cable would cost €73.20 at any hardware store.

So I won't say that.

Michael

Whenever I hear of reels of cable being lifted off building sites etc. in the UK I can't help thinking, 'Well maybe if they'd stop leaving it lying around at their arses....................'.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

I agree mac, but here they're not lifting unused cable, they're stripping it out of installations. Palm Mar was without street lighting for months after one such theft in Arona ...  ::)

poker

Copper goes 40€/kg i heard now .

They need to get them at the recikle yards where they get payed . Its eazy enouf .
They cheq everyone in Belgium and have to note id nr if bringing sertain weights of copper . . . .

poker

MISTAKE Seems the 40 €\kg the scavengers told me is for a special sort of copper ( I have no idea what sort?) .

The price for pure redcopper on the international ( Londen) market is only 5€/kg and the copperbuyers only give about 3,85 as most of the copper they get is not pure .

Anyway they still can cheq the pasports and note the number , whatever the price .