Dishwasher buying for dodos

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Mon 24 Mar 2014, 18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

So, the dishwasher died Saturday.  I have mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand it was only 10 years old and I hate appliances that don't last 25 years.  If I have to wash dishes by hand, there are no more dishes to wash in very short order.  On the other hand, I learned 6 months ago that my Bosch model was subject to a recall as it had a fault which could cause it to spontaneously combust.  The email I sent to the UK requesting resolution was strangely unanswered.   :017:   Cue end of running the dishwasher on the timer when not in the house. 

So, OH was informed (this was not a discussion item) that a new dishwasher would be purchased on Monday.  I had investigated Worten's site and they have a lovely compare function which allows you to get the details of 5 different models on one lovely printout.  MISTAKE NUMBER 1. 

So, we set off for Electro-Cris (which I didn't even want to go to; I direct you to the Leroy Merlin thread in which I described trying to buy a chest freezer) so we could compare prices.  I did not want to have the deal with the Default English Speaker (let's call him DES) because he is unpleasant and unhelpful.  They had a couple of models which were acceptable but we preferred Worten's selection.

So, off to Worten's in Adeje.  What?  They had none of the models on my printout?  The very nice guy they have who speaks English said that the website lists all models available in Spain and Portugal and that each store carries its own selection; further, they could not just phone Worten's in Las Chafiras as each one is its own fiefdom (my word, he used something more marketable) and they do not cooperate (they compete).  Stupid stupid Myrtle.  So my research was for nought, and they did not have a dishwasher we wanted.  Don't get caught in this trap of looking at a website and assuming.  However, if you need an electrodoméstico I can recommend this guy in Adeje.

So, words were exchanged and views were aired about buying styles between OH and I.  And he was informed that a dishwasher would be purchased today. 

So, off to Electro-Cris again to select from their dishwashers.  The mere thought of having to deal with DES got a headache started.  Anyway, we got there and soon settled on the dishwasher.  How to avoid DES?  Well, we saw he was dealing with an English speaking couple on something.  And, we saw a Spanish guy and hatched a plot to try to get him to help us......

So, we selected our moment, and pounced!  "Yes of course I can help you!"  He took down the details, we went back upstairs and he and I sat down to complete the purchase.  All along we were kibbitzing about where we live (close towns), the weather, etc. etc. - a most pleasant and civilised conversation in stark comparison to the torture that is dealing with DES.  He got another employee to phone and they said they can deliver between 10 and 1 tomorrow.  Great!  He said he was giving me a 3% discount - great!!!!!  (Suspect he is management as I have seen him there many times and I know only management can give discounts there)  He asked if I was English and I said no, American, and we had a good laugh about how the English cannot speak Spanish (sorry guys but I needed to earn that discount).  We paid up and now just have to wait for the guys to arrive tomorrow with a new dishwasher and take away the old one. 

So, it took time but there is a beautiful new AEG dishwasher on its way, it attracted a discount, we didn't have to deal with DES, and we now have 'our guy' at Electro-Cris. 

So, I hope I don't have to redirect to the rant thread....................

Delderek

One little thing you haven't mentioned, and knowing your energy conservation credentials surprised me.

Is it Hot and Cold fill? or just cold? many appliances in Tenerife are cold fill only. So having heated up your hot tank, this is ignored, with cold water going in, that has to be heated again to the correct temp. Just asking!!!

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 18:53between OH and I.

And to think I know people who say that.  :poke:

Anyway, the thing with Worten was to go to their central site, choose a model and then see the availability at your local store. The Las Chafiras site is much better than Adeje. When buying a fridge the other day, I was able to tell the nice lady when she went to check that they had 5 of the kind I wanted in stock. She gave me a tired look.

Congrats anyway. I hope not too much crockery will be broken in the meanwhile, or is it Aveti night again?

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Delderek on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 19:10
One little thing you haven't mentioned, and knowing your energy conservation credentials surprised me.

Is it Hot and Cold fill? or just cold? many appliances in Tenerife are cold fill only. So having heated up your hot tank, this is ignored, with cold water going in, that has to be heated again to the correct temp. Just asking!!!

Del I am assuming cold fill - I did not even know there was an option as I have always had cold fill appliances.  OH says that the reason they are cold fill is so that the appliance heat them to the correct temperature and so that you do not get water at a higher temp than you want.  Will discuss it with him. 

Quote from: Periklēs on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 19:11
And to think I know people who say that.  :poke:

Anyway, the thing with Worten was to go to their central site, choose a model and then see the availability at your local store. The Las Chafiras site is much better than Adeje. When buying a fridge the other day, I was able to tell the nice lady when she went to check that they had 5 of the kind I wanted in stock. She gave me a tired look.

Congrats anyway. I hope not too much crockery will be broken in the meanwhile, or is it Aveti night again?

We didn't get that far Perikles as I was damned if I was 1) driving round to Las Chafiras and 2) going home to check stock then going out again. 

Tonight is Soup Night (every Monday) so there are not too many dishes!

Delderek

With hot and cold fill, the machine will take supply from both to make the correct temp. (you do sometimes have to run the hot tap nearest the machine, to use up the water that has cooled in the pipes. This probably is not as important in Tenerife as the UK,where it can make a huge difference.

Michael

Ours broke this morning.  :03:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Delderek

Answering myself here, but appears not many hot and cold machines are now manufactured in the UK, supposedly due to the prevalence of Combi boilers, although many think it is just simply cheaper to manufacture cold only. But the combi argument wouldn't hold good in Tenerife.

Guanche

Mines just gone to bed!........................................ :sofa:

Michael

Quote from: Delderek on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 20:04
Answering myself here, but appears not many hot and cold machines are now manufactured in the UK, supposedly due to the prevalence of Combi boilers, although many think it is just simply cheaper to manufacture cold only. But the combi argument wouldn't hold good in Tenerife.

When we got our first one, the plumber friend who fitted it said that 'regulations' meant that they had to be cold feed.
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: